What is Law's guess?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I think Scheppers' mysterious injury issues, while perhaps past him now, is cause for too much concern to be taken in round one. I'm not saying he will bust out and never pitch in the majors, but I'd prefer another player.

I agree. My guess is Green, Crow, or White in that order.

Law also thinks that a HS 3B not projected to go higher than 15 will be the Pirates pick at 4. Either he thinks the Pirates are bigger idiots than we know and is poking fun at them, or he really is just pulling names out of a hat.

Law also thinks that a HS 3B not projected to go higher than 15 will be the Pirates pick at 4. Either he thinks the Pirates are bigger idiots than we know and is poking fun at them, or he really is just pulling names out of a hat.

We have Borchering at #20... and while this draft could become a bit of a wildcard, Borchering would surprise a lot of people going #4. I've never been a big fan of Keith Law's... but I generally respect him.

Personally I think Scheppers' mysterious injury issues, while perhaps past him now, is cause for too much concern to be taken in round one. I'm not saying he will bust out and never pitch in the majors, but I'd prefer another player.

I agree to an extent. However, we're so close to contending now that I think we can afford to take a risk on a player like Scheppers, IMO. Especially when he's considered the top arm in the draft behind Strasburg.

I agree to an extent. However, we're so close to contending now that I think we can afford to take a risk on a player like Scheppers, IMO. Especially when he's considered the top arm in the draft behind Strasburg.

I hear you, but I disagree with the "take a risk" mentality. We are developing a strong system and organization and are still in the process of securing a strong contending club. I personally would be surprised if Scheppers goes top 5... as his potential for injury is the sort of risk losing clubs cannot afford to take... including us.

Now that I've said that, you can lock Tanner Scheppers in at #5. :D

We have Borchering at #20... and while this draft could become a bit of a wildcard, Borchering would surprise a lot of people going #4. I've never been a big fan of Keith Law's... but I generally respect him.

I don't know, I mean if he had some kind of reasoning or backing I might be more willing to accept it, but it sounds like either he was just set on PIT taking a position player (which teams do not draft like that) or he figured he'd throw a huge surprise pick in there, and if he's wrong he can just say "oh, I'm so shocked this guy slipped".

I know Law's mock in 2007 had Wieters at like #18 and he had us taking Aumont and last year he was all over the place. I think he has a good chunk of contacts that when you get within a day or two of the draft he can nail down good info, but I don't think he can project himself at all. Looking at his mock, I see guys in the first that I had going much later. He doesn't even have Austin Maddox going in the first but has Wil Myers going #12?

Or he thinks they are cheap and can get this guy signed for under slot within a matter of days.

I can't see Angelos letting an injury risk guy get drafted, no matter what AM or JJ tells him. Especially not when there are so many other guys that are just as good if not better out there. If it was a clear cut thing and Schep. was head and shoulders better, that is one thing, but there are so many guys piled together I don't see it happening.

Archived