300 Wins!!!

waroriole

Congrats Randy. You are very likely to be the last 300 game winner this sport will ever see.

I hope you're wrong on that one, but it's looking like it'll be a long time before it happens again-- if it does.

Question: Which team's hat will he be wearing the Hall?

I gotta think he'll be the first to go in as an Arizona Diamondback. One World Series and four straight Cy Young years in 8 seasons is tough to beat.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnsra05.shtml

Question: Which team's hat will he be wearing the Hall?

I gotta think he'll be the first to go in as an Arizona Diamondback. One World Series and four straight Cy Young years in 8 seasons is tough to beat.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnsra05.shtml

I was going to go with Houston, but you're right Arizona makes more sense.

No, Houston; he played 1/3 of the 1998 season there. I was joking...

On a serious note, there couldn't have been more than 2500 fans at Nats park to witness his accomplishment.

Sarcasm is pretty much a foreign language for me. :o

I have always though of Randy as a Mariner, and for some reason that's how I expect he will be inducted. Though I certainly agree his tenure in Arizona was pretty incomparable.

Although it's been a freakishly wet spring/summer here, this goes directly back to my point that all the post-Camden Yards parks should have been built with retractable roofs. Johnson should have been given the opportunity to win this game last night with more than 750 soaked, shivering souls in the stands.

Did anybody see the play he made in his last inning, where he scooped a ball and flipped it to 1B while falling down? There's conjecture he jammed his shoulder on the play, but it was pretty slick. Also saw the Giants turn a pretty DP.

Congrats Randy. You are very likely to be the last 300 game winner this sport will ever see.

This is the silliest thing that absolutely everyone says for no reason.

Why "ever"? People still don't realize that baseball goes through eras of good pitching and good hitting? It's silly to assume that offense is going to stay this high forever, like it was silly the last time baseball had a high-offense era.

And just because no one's close, doesn't mean no one's going to do it again--and it won't necessarily take a new generation of pitchers. No 300-game winner since WWII has reached that plateau by being great in their 20s; they do it by being great in their 30s and 40s. Durability is extremely important, and there's no way of telling who will last into their 40s. Why not Johan? He's been extremely durable so far. Through age 30, Randy only had 82 wins. At the same age, Johan has 116. Sabathia is a horse and he has 122 at age 28 (and plays for the Yankees). If Roy Halladay stays healthy into his 40s, he could probably make it. Maybe even Josh Beckett. And so on and so on.

I would guess that at least one of these guys will stay healthy enough to hit 300.

Why "ever"? People still don't realize that baseball goes through eras of good pitching and good hitting? It's silly to assume that offense is going to stay this high forever, like it was silly the last time baseball had a high-offense era.

And just because no one's close, doesn't mean no one's going to do it again--and it won't necessarily take a new generation of pitchers. No 300-game winner since WWII has reached that plateau by being great in their 20s; they do it by being great in their 30s and 40s. Durability is extremely important, and there's no way of telling who will last into their 40s. Why not Johan? He's been extremely durable so far. Through age 30, Randy only had 82 wins. At the same age, Johan has 116. Sabathia is a horse and he has 122 at age 28 (and plays for the Yankees). If Roy Halladay stays healthy into his 40s, he could probably make it. Maybe even Josh Beckett. And so on and so on.

I would guess that at least one of these guys will stay healthy enough to hit 300.

They were discussing this on PTI the other day and I don't thing it's the silliest thing ever said? Pitchers do not go 9 innings anymore, or very rarely. Pitchers leaving in the 6th, 7th, 8th inning with the lead, relying on the bullpen to keep the lead is a very good reason why their may never be another 300 game winner. Sabathia just last year lost 3 wins because the bullpen failed to hold the lead. Do that for 20 years, that's 60 wins lost! I recall in 1996 or 97, Mike Mussina lost 5 wins, because the bullpen could not hold the lead.

They were discussing this on PTI the other day and I don't thing it's the silliest thing ever said? Pitchers do not go 9 innings anymore, or very rarely. Pitchers leaving in the 6th, 7th, 8th inning with the lead, relying on the bullpen to keep the lead is a very good reason why their may never be another 300 game winner. Sabathia just last year lost 3 wins because the bullpen failed to hold the lead. Do that for 20 years, that's 60 wins lost! I recall in 1996 or 97, Mike Mussina lost 5 wins, because the bullpen could not hold the lead.

The problem with this logic is that you assume that the bullpen will do a worse job than a tired pitcher. It's just as likely that a guy who does stay in and pitch 9 innings will give up his own lead.

With that said, the current pitching management does make it more difficult, but I think you're overstating it here.

-Johan Santana has to average 18.5 wins for the next 10 years until he is 40.

-CC Sabathia has to average 18 wins for the next 10 years. He only has one season over with 18 or more wins in his career.

-Roy Halladay has to average 16 wins until he is 42 years old every single season. Again, not very likely.

It would be very difficult for all three of these players to average these totals for the next 10 years.

:clap3:

Congratulations to Randy Johnson. 6IP 0ER and surprisingly only 2 K's. Imagine where he would rank on the Wins list if he had put it together earlier.

But that's just the thing. Most 300 game winners don't put it together early. Far more important that being good early in your career is being good late in your career, and it's nearly impossible to predict who will achieve that.

People were saying this in the 90s all the time and this decade has seen an impressive 4 pitchers reach the mark. I'm fairly confident there will be another 300 game winner, and it likely won't be someone who is on or over the pace right now, but someone who stays inexplicably good very late into his career.

People were saying this in the 90s all the time and this decade has seen an impressive 4 pitchers reach the mark. I'm fairly confident there will be another 300 game winner, and it likely won't be someone who is on or over the pace right now, but someone who stays inexplicably good very late into his career.

Good point, who would have thought Moyer would reach 250 wins.

Archived