Respect to Jordan

As we start to dig into these picks over the coming weeks, I know I will come off as more negative than I actually am with regards to rounds 1-3. I just wanted to go on record:

There aren't many people who can do what Joe Jordan does -- run a scouting department and orchestrate a draft for a Major League organization. Moreover, he has proven himself to be among the better scouting directors in the game, particularly with regards to identifying value and going with "his guy" regardless of media rankings. I respect the job that Jordan does and we should all be happy to have him steering the drafting ship for the Orioles. Any critiques or disagreements I have are respectful in nature and with the full understanding that I am 1) new at trying to evaluate talent on this massive a scale, and 2) still not particularly good at it (though I do believe I'm improving every month and every scouting trip).

So, thanks to Joe Jordan and I hope in all of our discussions we can understand that it's okay to critique and question, and it doesn't mean we do not appreciate all the work that Jordan and the scouting department put in for this organization.

That's all. Looking forward to tomorrow.

The guy scored huge points in my book. I'm still not sold on Hobgood as the pick, but the way JJ came right out and said "This wasn't a money saver. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I was between these two guys, and I decided to take Hobgood." The way he openly told Hobgood that if Ackley was available, we'd pick Ackley, and otherwise we'd pick him.... That's phenomenal.

That kind of honesty with the fans and with Hobgood is the ultimate sign of respect.

The way he took responsibility for the pick, and acknowledged that it isn't the popular pick, that shows accountability and guts.

First off, I'd like to tell you that you are very good at it. That being said, they made the comment that Jordan's people have been following these kids all year long, so its no surprise that with the resources they have, and the time to boot, they would have a better indication of what they believe these kids to be capable of.

I have little doubt, Stotle, if you had both the resources, and the time to follow these kids around all year long, you would make a damn fine professional scout.

Come on dude, not particularly good at it? You have a fulltime job to boot.

Just being realistic. I love it -- it's great -- but I spent the weekend (almost 21 hours) with Division I coaches scouting a showcase and it just reinforces that there is so much to learn and such a big difference between paring down a ready made list of talent and sifting through a couple hundred random bodies running around on a field.

As I said, I'm getting better for sure. I picked out a lot of the same "follow" guys this weekend and will be better when I go to the Area Code Games tryouts in a couple of weeks. But I understand that the guys actually with the Major League organizations (at the top) are light years ahead of where I am right now off of experience alone. It's why I don't mind if Ackley becomes an all-star -- it will be an experience I've had evaluating talent and will tell me the issues I saw in Ackley aren't as bad as I think they are (and I'll know that the next time I see that in a player). It's incredibly difficult to do what Joe Jordan does, and I just didn't want to trivialize his work by throwing critiques out there without the qualifications in this thread.

Now, the media guys? I'm not so quick to defer to those jokers...:)

First off, I'd like to tell you that you are very good at it. That being said, they made the comment that Jordan's people have been following these kids all year long, so its no surprise that with the resources they have, and the time to boot, they would have a better indication of what they believe these kids to be capable of.

I have little doubt, Stotle, if you had both the resources, and the time to follow these kids around all year long, you would make a damn fine professional scout.

Well, thanks to both you and McNulty. I wasn't shooting for a "you are good" response, but I appreciate it. The more we all discuss these sorts of things the better we all get at understanding the game, the draft, prospects, etc.

Just being realistic. I love it -- it's great -- but I spent the weekend (almost 21 hours) with Division I coaches scouting a showcase and it just reinforces that there is so much to learn and such a big difference between paring down a ready made list of talent and sifting through a couple hundred random bodies running around on a field.

As I said, I'm getting better for sure. I picked out a lot of the same "follow" guys this weekend and will be better when I go to the Area Code Games tryouts in a couple of weeks. But I understand that the guys actually with the Major League organizations (at the top) are light years ahead of where I am right now off of experience alone. It's why I don't mind if Ackley becomes an all-star -- it will be an experience I've had evaluating talent and will tell me the issues I saw in Ackley aren't as bad as I think they are (and I'll know that the next time I see that in a player). It's incredibly difficult to do what Joe Jordan does, and I just didn't want to trivialize his work by throwing critiques out there without the qualifications in this thread.

Now, the media guys? I'm not so quick to defer to those jokers...:)

Well, just remember this when you are running your own scouting department. I'll be available to cover the ACC for you, no problem. :D

The guy scored huge points in my book. I'm still not sold on Hobgood as the pick, but the way JJ came right out and said "This wasn't a money saver. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I was between these two guys, and I decided to take Hobgood." The way he openly told Hobgood that if Ackley was available, we'd pick Ackley, and otherwise we'd pick him.... That's phenomenal.

So then why the hell would you not be "sold" on the pick?

Have you seen Hobgood pitch? Do you definitively know his strengths and weaknesses? Had you even heard of him before last night?

He is a high school pitcher hand picked by a guy who has devoted his life to scouting out potential stars. And you are?

I really appreciate the opinions that you and several other posters who really study film and analyze mechanics, repetoire etc bring to the board. Obviously I trust Jordan and his staff to make sound judgments, but it's informative to hear your opinions and the reasons behind them.

Stotle, I agree Jordan has earned our respect with his picks over the last couple of years. I was certainly excited about either Wheeler or Matzek, but I don't know much about Hobgood other then he was just selected as the Gatorade Player of the Year which certainly means he is not a dog. Also, no one heard of Avery last year when he was picked and he is tearing it up at Delmarva. So I'm excited to see what these guys do in a few years.

As we start to dig into these picks over the coming weeks, I know I will come off as more negative than I actually am with regards to rounds 1-3. I just wanted to go on record:

There aren't many people who can do what Joe Jordan does -- run a scouting department and orchestrate a draft for a Major League organization. Moreover, he has proven himself to be among the better scouting directors in the game, particularly with regards to identifying value and going with "his guy" regardless of media rankings. I respect the job that Jordan does and we should all be happy to have him steering the drafting ship for the Orioles. Any critiques or disagreements I have are respectful in nature and with the full understanding that I am 1) new at trying to evaluate talent on this massive a scale, and 2) still not particularly good at it (though I do believe I'm improving every month and every scouting trip).

So, thanks to Joe Jordan and I hope in all of our discussions we can understand that it's okay to critique and question, and it doesn't mean we do not appreciate all the work that Jordan and the scouting department put in for this organization.

That's all. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I remember last year, after the Matusz, Avery, Hoes picks, people weren't so thrilled at first. At this point it seems that they were three pretty good picks (yes Smoak would have been too...). The fact that one of the best sources of info on this board admits to the difficulty of talent evaluation, it makes it a little easier to ignore those that are whining about the picks.

Just read Givens was drafted as a SS. RHP, SS, 1B sounds like a pretty good mix for this team. We needed some infielders, and there is nothing wrong with continuing the pitcher first mentality (as long as we do have some bats).

I am very excited for today. I really feel like this is the part of the draft where JJ really shines. Hoping for some steals.

Stotle, I agree Jordan has earned our respect with his picks over the last couple of years. I was certainly excited about either Wheeler or Matzek, but I don't know much about Hobgood other then he was just selected as the Gatorade Player of the Year which certainly means he is not a dog. Also, no one heard of Avery last year when he was picked and he is tearing it up at Delmarva. So I'm excited to see what these guys do in a few years.

Beat me to it, I'm such a slow typer.

After a good nights sleep, I have done a 180 on the Hobgood pick. I'm the first to admit, I knew little about the guy but after doing a little bit of research on him, I think the O's made a good pick. Especially if we are able to muscle up on day 2 because we didnt break the bank on day 1.

I think my problem is that I am more used to the NFL draft then MLB. You know everything about everybody in the NFL Draft, but because MLB has just started to realize the ratings potential for a televised draft and the fact that there are about 10,000 rounds, there are a lot of players that slip through the cracks - information-wise.

Can we make sure that JTrea and snatch read this thread? Amid his meltdown yesterday, he stated that there were a number of posters on this board that can do Jordan's job better than him.

Stotle and allstar are the best draft gurus we have here IMO and with no disrespect to them, neither could run a MLB scouting department. Stotle admits that here.

These guys are great for us. They are dedicated and have provided SO much to this board. Before guys like them started popping up, the I don't believe there was even an Amateur Draft board on this site. There is so much good info on here that I usually skip the Major League and Minor League boards and come straight here.

Thanks to Stotle and allstar and the other gurus for all of your hard work. These three days make all of that work worth it.

Archived