Arrieta

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrieta is a gamer. This kid does nothing but fights his butt off on the mound and competes every fifth day. He has a little arrogance when he gets on the mound, but there's so poise and confidence that he gets away with it and it works to his advantage. Off the field, Jake's a great guy and never one to shy away from an interview (see last year's prospect tracker on him for all the proof) no matter what he's doing. He's definitely a clubhouse leader and guys on the team last year liked him a lot and so did the coaches.

I think the one thing that bothered me about the article is that it posted his mediocre stats and offered no explanation.

I did an interview with Bob Socci. He is the play-by-play guy for the Tides and he told a much different story about his second start than his numbers did.

He starts talking about Arrieta at the 5:30 mark.

http://rightoffrussell.com/orioles/interview-with-bob-socci-the-voice-of-the-norfolk-tides-2/

"The average age of Norfolk's current rotation is 23.4."

I may need a box of tissues. I think there might have been years we didn't have three guys that young in AAA.

I just copied and was getting ready to paste the exact same quote.:)

That is amazing and speaks to the talent we have down there. I have to think that would be a young average age for a AA rotation much less a AAA rotation. It also means we don't have that 35 year old minor league rotation filler anymore.:clap3:

I think the one thing that bothered me about the article is that it posted his mediocre stats and offered no explanation.

I did an interview with Bob Socci. He is the play-by-play guy for the Tides and he told a much different story about his second start than his numbers did.

He starts talking about Arrieta at the 5:30 mark.

http://rightoffrussell.com/orioles/interview-with-bob-socci-the-voice-of-the-norfolk-tides-2/

What mediocre stats are you talking about? You really cannot take much from his AAA stats because hes only pitched in 2 games....And I dont have any sound here at work, can you elaborate what you mean by Socci had a different story than his numbers led on to believe?

What mediocre stats are you talking about? You really cannot take much from his AAA stats because hes only pitched in 2 games....And I dont have any sound here at work, can you elaborate what you mean by Socci had a different story than his numbers led on to believe?

Jun 12 @IND 0 1 1.50 0 6.0 2 1 0 6

Jun 17 @LOU 0 1 9.64 0 4.2 7 5 2 7

Basically, Bob was talking about the Louisville game where his defense let him down. Also, the scoring of a hit really should have been an error, that would have also kept his ER down in that game. Bob was just glowing about Arrieta's stuff so far.

Here is what The Sun article said....

"Arrieta (0-2, 5.06 ERA) pitched well in his first Triple-A start, allowing a solo homer and one other hit in six innings, but was still tagged with the hard-luck loss. On Wednesday, he lost his second game, giving up five earned runs in 4 2/3 innings. Five of the seven hits he allowed were singles, and one runner scored on a close play at the plate."

You read that and it looks like he was tagged pretty good.

Jun 12 @IND 0 1 1.50 0 6.0 2 1 0 6

Jun 17 @LOU 0 1 9.64 0 4.2 7 5 2 7

Basically, Bob was talking about the Louisville game where his defense let him down. Also, the scoring of a hit really should have been an error, that would have also kept his ER down in that game. Bob was just glowing about Arrieta's stuff so far.

ooooh ok ok. I thought you were saying the opposite. I need to make it up the street to Harbor Park to check out some of these guys before they come up to the bigs for good.....

Did anyone happen to catch this article?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sp.osminors22jun22,0,1396121.story

I love this guy's attitude... sounds a lot like how Red Sox and Yankees prospects used to sound in the early 2000s.

"I've just always been very aggressive and competitive. I hate to lose more than anything in the world," said Arrieta, who was 6-3 with a 2.59 ERA in 11 Double-A starts before making his Triple-A debut June 12. "When I am out on the mound, every pitch I throw is with a purpose and with a lot of aggression and confidence."

YES!

"I don't really have a goal as far as when to get there or a timeline. I definitely would like to be up there this year. I think I could help the big league club, even if it's a small way," he said. "But I will continue to work on things I need to work on and progress as a pitcher. It's just going to take care of itself, whether it's next month, the end of the year, next year or whenever.

"Whenever it will be, I will be ready to help."

Good lord. This kid will be awesome.

MSK

Archived