Jameson Taillon, RHP, The Woodlands HS (TX)

I think some incomplete reports from various sites have confused Taillon's stuff. Here's my PnR Scouting write-up (not an established trade journal/site such as perfect game or baseball america, so take it for what you will):

Jameson Taillon | RHP | The Woodlands HS (TX)

Ht/Wt: 6-7/230 | B/T: R/R | Year: Senior | Born: 11/18/1991

Scouted:

Aflac All-American Game, August 16, 2009 (film)

Under Armour All-America Game, August 8, 2009 (in attendance)

Perfect Game National Showcase, June 11-14, 2009 (film)

Perfect Game World Showcase, January 3-4, 2009 (film)

Frame:

Close to maxed-out, but already big league body. Sturdy, workhorse build. Good athleticism and well above-average body control. Moves well and shows excellent awareness of his actions.

Motion:

Taillon has a simple side step into his motion with little movement in his upper-body. He has an exaggerated closed leg kick (closed all the way to the LF side of the 3B bag), adding some deception and making it difficult for the hitter to pick-up the ball out of his low hand break. He moves to a drop-and-drive approach to the plate as he begins to rotate his body back towards home. Explosive in his stride, he has a sizeable step, giving his arm plenty of time to get into the cocked position as he plants. He gets good hip/shoulder separation, creating good rotation through his core and helping to generate his plus velocity. He drives directly towards home consistently, fully utilizing all the momentum he builds-up through his kick and stride. His arm comes from a 3/4 slot and is easy, coming across his body. His follow-through could be cleaned-up some, falling off towards first (though he's generally under control). Most impressive is his body control and the repeatability of his mechanics -- a rarity in a high schooler with such a big body.

Stuff:

Fastball - Generally sitting 93-95 mph with good life, touching 96. Taillon can pound the zone with his fastball and it's good enough to simply throw by hitters at this point. He'll need to improve his command in the zone, but it's already a plus pitch that could be plus-plus down the line.

Curveball - Taillon's curve is an impressive power breaking ball with 2-plane action and plus late bite. Already excellent depth, the pitch could be a plus to plus-plus offering as he improves his feel and command. Potential strikeout pitch as both swing-and-miss and in the zone. On my gun at 77-81 mph.

Slider - Taillon's slider has good tilt and comes out of the same slot as his fastball. Low- to mid-80s on the gun (82-84 mph) and could be another swing-and-miss offering at the pro level. Doesn't command pitch yet.

Change-up - Not needed much at this point, but shows feel for the pitch. Good arm speed. Could be yet another average to above-average offering depending on the work put in. Good velo separation from fastball (around 10 mph).

Nick's Notes:

Taillon has been nothing short of incredible each time I've seen him (on film and in person), and I do not pass that compliment out lightly. As mentioned above, his body control really stands out for such a big-body. There's an excellent combination here of well above-average pure stuff, an ideal Major League pitcher's body, athleticism and poise. In some ways, this summer will make things more difficult on Taillon, as he's set the bar very high for his spring season. At the same time, I never expected to enter the 2010 season with anyone but Bryce Harper atop my big board -- Taillon has given me reason to examine that slot more closely. He has all the makings of a potential front-end starter.

Projected Position: Front-end Starter

Suggested Draft Slot: Top 10 Overall

Updates:

8/18/2009 - Taillon continues to roll on, making a case to be the first high school player off the board next June, and perhaps the top overall. Taillon cruised through two innings at PetCo in the Aflac All-American Game, striking out four batters in the process. He's still sitting mid-90s with his fastball, even after a long summer circuit.

8/15/2009 - Taillon took home MVP honors for Team One at the Under Armour All-America Game. He was selected by PnR Scouting as the top performer at the event (article here; rankings here).

Photo Copyright: PnR Scouting

GRADING OUT (FUTURE):

Motion: 45 (55/60)

Fastball: 60/65 (70)

Curveball: 50 (60/65)

Change: 40 (50/55)

Slider: 40 (50/55)

Control: 45/50 (60)

Command: 40/45 (55/60)

VIDEO:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-tqBvBFj0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-tqBvBFj0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stotle, nice to see you back - always like your perspective and knowledge. Thanks for this piece.

I like Taillon a lot - I have only seen video and read scouting reports but he would be a great pick for the Orioles if he lasts, IMO. In fact, at this stage he is who I would like the Orioles to take.

BTW, BA has stated and Callis again in his ESPN chat this week, said that Brentz has work ethic problems and swings like a wild man (at least in the Cape he did). Pomeranz is not that athletic, is not a good fielder and also has problems with his work ethic, according to BA. Those are the reasons why both were rated lower than many expected in BA's "first cut" rating. Of course, this is way early, all can change by June 2010.

Also, what do you think of Jarrett Parker and is he a first rounder?

Stotle, nice to see you back - always like your perspective and knowledge. Thanks for this piece.

I like Taillon a lot - I have only seen video and read scouting reports but he would be a great pick for the Orioles if he lasts, IMO. In fact, at this stage he is who I would like the Orioles to take.

BTW, BA has stated and Callis again in his ESPN chat this week, said that Brentz has work ethic problems and swings like a wild man (at least in the Cape he did). Pomeranz is not that athletic, is not a good fielder and also has problems with his work ethic, according to BA. Those are the reasons why both were rated lower than many expected in BA's "first cut" rating. Of course, this is way early, all can change by June 2010.

Also, what do you think of Jarrett Parker and is he a first rounder?

Thanks -- finally closed a really big transaction and have some down time again!

Brentz and Pomeranz were with Team USA this summer, not on the Cape, but yeah I saw Callis's thoughts. One thing to keep in mind is that Callis & Co. aren't always clear when they are speaking for themselves and when they are relaying what the hear from scouts/coaches. I saw Brentz several times this summer with Team USA, including twice live in game action and once during a workout/BP session. There were players during the workout session that I noted "Hustle?" for, and he wasn't one of them. Not saying Callis is wrong, just that I didn't see the work ethic issues.

He plays at an extreme hitter's park at Mid. Tenn St., so his numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt, or perhaps two or three grains of sea salt. But the tools are certainly there for him to be very good. I compared him to Nick Markakis in my write-up, and still think that fits. His "flailing away" is, I think, in part due to the mixed level of his competition. Whether he becomes successful at higher levels will likely hang on his ability to rein in his aggressiveness and let his offensive game come to him, rather than simply trying to drive the ball. Mechanically, I like his swing.

Pomeranz has mechanical issues, but he'll miss some bats and the curve is among the best in the draft class when he is commanding it. He's the opposite of Taillon when it comes to repeatability and body control, though he's far from a disaster.

Parker, right now, looks like a late 1st to supplemental pick, but has mid-1st upside to me. If you're in the UVA area (or another ACC school) check him out this spring.

I think some incomplete reports from various sites have confused Taillon's stuff. Here's my PnR Scouting write-up (not an established trade journal/site such as perfect game or baseball america, so take it for what you will):

Great stuff as always, Stotle. I love that drop and drive action. He's deceptive and explosive. Look forward to seeing more from him.

Thanks -- finally closed a really big transaction and have some down time again!

Brentz and Pomeranz were with Team USA this summer, not on the Cape, but yeah I saw Callis's thoughts. One thing to keep in mind is that Callis & Co. aren't always clear when they are speaking for themselves and when they are relaying what the hear from scouts/coaches. I saw Brentz several times this summer with Team USA, including twice live in game action and once during a workout/BP session. There were players during the workout session that I noted "Hustle?" for, and he wasn't one of them. Not saying Callis is wrong, just that I didn't see the work ethic issues.

He plays at an extreme hitter's park at Mid. Tenn St., so his numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt, or perhaps two or three grains of sea salt. But the tools are certainly there for him to be very good. I compared him to Nick Markakis in my write-up, and still think that fits. His "flailing away" is, I think, in part due to the mixed level of his competition. Whether he becomes successful at higher levels will likely hang on his ability to rein in his aggressiveness and let his offensive game come to him, rather than simply trying to drive the ball. Mechanically, I like his swing.

Pomeranz has mechanical issues, but he'll miss some bats and the curve is among the best in the draft class when he is commanding it. He's the opposite of Taillon when it comes to repeatability and body control, though he's far from a disaster.

Parker, right now, looks like a late 1st to supplemental pick, but has mid-1st upside to me. If you're in the UVA area (or another ACC school) check him out this spring.

Sorry, I know it was Team USA. I believe that BA/Callis said it was scouts in their write-up on Brentz and Pomeranz for Team USA and in his chat. Good to see another perspective from someone who actually saw both. Brentz to Markakis is intriguing. Thanks for your thoughts on Parker -

Sorry, I know it was Team USA. I believe that BA/Callis said it was scouts in their write-up on Brentz and Pomeranz for Team USA and in his chat. Good to see another perspective from someone who actually saw both. Brentz to Markakis is intriguing. Thanks for your thoughts on Parker -

Work ethic isn't something easily observable unless you see someone a bunch of times over the course of a decent time span. If scouts have observed Brentz over the last six months, or whatever, then I certainly defer to them. I saw him in three games and a workout this summer -- that's it.

Brentz isn't the defender Nick is, but I think he has the footspeed, and the arm, to be a comparable defensive right fielder when all is said and done. Of course, that's when the "work ethic" issue comes in. I certainly wouldn't ding him for it solely off the basis of an unnamed scouts report, but agree it is definitely worth noting.

I only saw one start from Pomeranz this summer but saw, I believe, two this past spring (might have been three -- have to check notes).

I like what I see here. His motion isn't perfect, but I'd have to nitpick to find any major red flags. I'd like to see a more rotational lower body and more evidence of good timing, but at quick glance, I think this kid should hold up.

Stotle, do you have anything on Cole yet?

Yeah, I have lots of these kids written up, just haven't had time to post them over at the new draft site. Here's Cole's video from the Under Armour game.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOJIbkZCJI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOJIbkZCJI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here's my write-up strictly from the event (not the full scouting report):

3. AJ Cole, RHP, Oviedo HS (FL) – Cole (pictured right) has that terrific combination of good stuff now and a projectability down the line. Listed at 6-5 / 190, there is plenty of room to fill out and add some strength as he progresses. This is particularly exciting considering his arsenal is already a pro’s arsenal in the making. On Saturday, I clocked his fastball consistently in the 90 - 93 mph range with two pitches hitting 94 (both up in the zone). He got excellent spin on his curve, but was coming around it a bit, causing it to lose the bite I’ve seen in my video reviews (he was mid-70s, 75 - 77 mph, with the pitch). His motion was repeatable, and his arm action was incredibly easy. A quick and dirty comparison would be to Zack Wheeler (drafted in ’09 by San Francisco at 1:6) at last year’s event, though Cole showed less consistency with his breaking ball and didn’t break out his change-up. I’ll be looking forward to his outing at the Aflac All-American game, and will be interested to see how his stuff progresses between now and next June. There is a lot to be excited about with this skill set and frame.

He looked good at Aflac, but again didn't have his "on" breaking ball.

As expected, I'll have to see more evidence of good timing, but Cole seems to have a very effortless delivery. Based off of this and what I have read, my gut is telling me Taillon, but I guess that's why they have another year to play.

Yeah, I have lots of these kids written up, just haven't had time to post them over at the new draft site. Here's Cole's video from the Under Armour game.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOJIbkZCJI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOJIbkZCJI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here's my write-up strictly from the event (not the full scouting report):

He looked good at Aflac, but again didn't have his "on" breaking ball.

Dang, Taillon sounds even better than I originally thought. It sounds as though you are higher on him and Allstar seems higher on Cole. I like Taillon a lot, even more now hearing that he actually has a full arsenal. It now seems as though its Cole with just a fastball/curve, but then again, Cole is more projectable. I doubt Taillon will still be around for us when its our pick unless we become top 3. He sounds like the complete package, and to me blows the drafted HS pitchers from 09 out of the water.

Dang, Taillon sounds even better than I originally thought. It sounds as though you are higher on him and Allstar seems higher on Cole. I like Taillon a lot, even more now hearing that he actually has a full arsenal. It now seems as though its Cole with just a fastball/curve, but then again, Cole is more projectable. I doubt Taillon will still be around for us when its our pick unless we become top 3. He sounds like the complete package, and to me blows the drafted HS pitchers from 09 out of the water.

Cole's CH is still a work in progress, but I expect him to put a lot of work into it this offseason, since his draft status will be tied to it. His curve is still inconsistent, like Stotle said, he saw him twice and it was off both days, I saw it on one day, and it was NASTY, it's a huge change of speed from his fastball which sits 93-96, at 77-78mph. He's got room to grow and could amp up another mph or two on his FB. I usually don't bite on the projectability stuff, but this kid had poise and looked good when I saw him.

That being said, it's not that I'm down on Taillon at all, I just had to choose between the two, and like I said, I've only seen him once, and seen Cole twice, and Cole really looked good when I saw him live. I'll make up my mind sometime around March/April :)

Archived