Mock Drafts 2010

Not to start a comp thing, but he reminds me of a right handed Andrew Miller in a lot of ways. He's got the size and the stuff but for whatever reason the results aren't there. I say all the time that the Junior year is the one where the great players make the huge leap forward, so obviously I'd like to see what he does this year, but I'd be pretty angry if we took him 1:3.

Hmm, sounds a lot like James Paxton. Ill be interetsed to see what McGuire does this year. It doesnt make sense for this kid to have the total package and not be able to produce the way his stuff would suggest, same with Paxton.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was just incosistent throughout the season. The stuff is definitely there, but he had a rough go at it towards the end and a couple of real head-scratchers throughout the season. McNulty probably has better info -- he follows the ACC squads pretty closely.

What's your take on Colon? If you've already been asked, just shoot the link. I'm interested to see how you see him projecting.

All things considered - I might be swayed into this guy over a pitcher, but need to learn more...

What's your take on Colon? If you've already been asked, just shoot the link. I'm interested to see how you see him projecting.

All things considered - I might be swayed into this guy over a pitcher, but need to learn more...

I'm not Stotle, but here is Stotle's write-up at DA...

"Colon is an excellent fielding shortstop, showing plus to plus-plus hands and good arm strength. He has the footwork to make all the necessary pivots and sets himself up well on his throws. His athletic build still gives him room to add some strength and his range should not be affected to the point that a position switch is required. His range is solid average, and plays up due to good reads and routes on struck balls. At the plate, Colon makes consistent hard contact, showing good balance and gap-to-gap pop. He shows a solid understanding of the strike zone and an ability to work the count, as evidenced by last year's 1:1 BB:SO ratio. The Fullerton shortstop profiles above-average defensively with top-of-the-order offensive tools, and could be among the first middle-infielders off the board next June."

I'm sure he'll have some more thoughts to add when he reads your post.

"Colon is an excellent fielding shortstop, showing plus to plus-plus hands and good arm strength. He has the footwork to make all the necessary pivots and sets himself up well on his throws. His athletic build still gives him room to add some strength and his range should not be affected to the point that a position switch is required. His range is solid average, and plays up due to good reads and routes on struck balls. At the plate, Colon makes consistent hard contact, showing good balance and gap-to-gap pop. He shows a solid understanding of the strike zone and an ability to work the count, as evidenced by last year's 1:1 BB:SO ratio. The Fullerton shortstop profiles above-average defensively with top-of-the-order offensive tools, and could be among the first middle-infielders off the board next June."

Thanks, Greg. The more I learn about this guy, the more intrigued I am. While I realize we picked up Givens last year, I would not mind us looking at this kid.

Liked your website, BTW.

The reason I brought up Colon is that the other gentleman on your site had him listed to us. Just out of curiousity, who is he? Is he an O's fan or just a buddy who works on the site with you?

Liked your website, BTW.

The reason I brought up Colon is that the other gentleman on your site had him listed to us. Just out of curiousity, who is he? Is he an O's fan or just a buddy who works on the site with you?

Stotle. That's why I said "I'm not Stotle, but here is Stotle's write-up at DA..." :)

Thanks a lot for the kind words, as well.

Colon would add some safety to our system at SS. He should also move quickly through the system. I like him as a possible pick and wouldn't be upset if we took him, but IMO there are a few guys that will be available to us who have far better upside. On the bright side with Colon, it has been said he may sign for slot, or close to it and is very safe as mentioned.

Compared to Grant Green from last year, Colon is a much better overall ball player, but the biggest knock I have heard on him is that he doesn't have 1 really really head of the rest tool that stands out, though his overall skillset is solid. I'm sure with him, there will be a wide array of opinions, but me personally I would rather shoot for an arm with more upside, but I favor pitching anyway....IMO Colon is what we would hope for LJ Hoes to turn into, he already has a similar skillset(minus the glove).

He apparently had a very good summer BTW until injury struck.....

If you search for Colon on the OH, you will find that he has been discussed quite a few times here recently and you will find some very good information...

What has changed in the last couple weeks with regard to where prospects are falling?

You mean as far as my adjusting my mock?

When needed, I make adjustments based on additional research and/or in-depth reviews of the teams and their needs/tendancies.

Chris Sale in particular was dropped due to some concerns over his abilities to pitch as effective against the better Cape Cod competition as the season progressed. He's still well thought of, but my initial indicators on him have been duly adjusted.

When needed, I make adjustments based on additional research and/or in-depth reviews of the teams and their needs/tendancies.

Chris Sale in particular was dropped due to some concerns over his abilities to pitch as effective against the better Cape Cod competition as the season progressed. He's still well thought of, but my initial indicators on him have been duly adjusted.

Understood.

It would be nice to see an arrow indication showing who is jumping around . . . and probably if a short paragraph is given explaining it. Otherwise, it is just a list.

Just my thoughts.

Understood.

It would be nice to see an arrow indication showing who is jumping around . . . and probably if a short paragraph is given explaining it. Otherwise, it is just a list.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea at all... though I am very limited using my current website creator- Yola.com.

Eventually, as the site moves onward to it's own true website, so will my abilities to make changes and improvements. :)

Did you slightly drop Whitson as well? I thought you had him slightly higher up last time as well.....Its strange how Cole is regarded as the #2 HS arm by most, but Whitson IMO is very very close to him and could very well end up going before Cole. Im guessing that Cole's draft slot hinges this year on the development of his secondaries.

I wonder if he added 2 MPH to an already plus fastball if thatd boost his stock as much as him solidfying his secondaries more consistently into possible plus or above average offerings....

Yeah, that's not a bad idea at all... though I am very limited using my current website creator- Yola.com.

Eventually, as the site moves onward to it's own true website, so will my abilities to make changes and improvements. :)

Yeah, I would look forward to that.

A considerable number of these sites are springing up with people doing mock drafts. The problem is that how does the layman discern two sources of mocks? The reasoning behind them probably needs to be put in there in order to be unique or more valued. Perhaps a series going over Scouting Director history and apparent organizational philosophy would be useful as well. As we have been seeing the past couple years and with MLB trying to mainstream it, the draft is attracting a lot more interest. Your site is setup as a very convenient vehicle to deliver information and provide depth to a growing interested population.

For instance, you slotted Colon for the Diamondbacks while Stotle slotted Cole. The question is why. What was the thought going into each of these selections? What is the background of the interested parties? Why does a certain player under their current evaluation fit better than another?

I mean . . . I can write a blog in Aramaic . . . but only the folks who read Aramaic will be able to figure out what I am saying. That entry is informative to those who have the same base knowledge as you. If it is too much of a hassle to define what it is you are doing, maybe other aspects of the site should be focused on first.

Hopefully, these comments are constructive. I don't know if I am poorly phrasing this. I just think you have a nice opportunity there.

Yeah, I would look forward to that.

A considerable number of these sites are springing up with people doing mock drafts. The problem is that how does the layman discern two sources of mocks? The reasoning behind them probably needs to be put in there in order to be unique or more valued. Perhaps a series going over Scouting Director history and apparent organizational philosophy would be useful as well. As we have been seeing the past couple years and with MLB trying to mainstream it, the draft is attracting a lot more interest. Your site is setup as a very convenient vehicle to deliver information and provide depth to a growing interested population.

For instance, you slotted Colon for the Diamondbacks while Stotle slotted Cole. The question is why. What was the thought going into each of these selections? What is the background of the interested parties? Why does a certain player under their current evaluation fit better than another?

I mean . . . I can write a blog in Aramaic . . . but only the folks who read Aramaic will be able to figure out what I am saying. That entry is informative to those who have the same base knowledge as you. If it is too much of a hassle to define what it is you are doing, maybe other aspects of the site should be focused on first.

Hopefully, these comments are constructive. I don't know if I am poorly phrasing this. I just think you have a nice opportunity there.

The mocks were a recommended addition that I agreed to, and was interested in doing anyway... but that page is the least of what we focus on. The main intent of the site is to gather consensus information, as best as we can, and present that to our readers. I will update my mock periodically, but will not likely have time to really get into details.

I am in the process of working on 39 prospects to round out the top 50, and hope to eventually get to a top 100 or even 200 prospects for the draft... and though I am currently under-staffed, I'm close to getting two new staffers to assist in a variety of projects, including the draft tendancies of all teams and their decision makers. It's a great idea and one we will look to put on the site when completed.

I appreciate the ideas, and love hearing from you- as always.

Archived