WWBA World Championship: Part 2 of 3 Part Wrap-up

Part 2 of my WWBA wrap posts today. Here's a player I thought some on here would find interesting -- projectable 6'4" righty from Springfield, VA, Bobby Wahl:

Round 8

My Selection: Bobby Wahl, RHP, West Springfield HS (VA) | Tournament Team: Orioles Scout Team. Wahl was perhaps my favorite draft eligible player to watch over the course of the tournament. His stuff was similar to what I saw earlier this summer, but this was the longest outing I’ve been privy to, and he did not disappoint. His fastball doesn’t blow you away -- yet -- currently sitting in the mid- to upper-80s and touching 90/91 mph. But his arm action is free and easy, and his broad frame is quite projectable, making it easy to picture him ultimately sitting low-90s and touching that 94-96 mph range. He throws a low-70s curve and a slider around 80 mph, both of which are inconsistent but show promise. His change-up was sparsely used and he can throw it a little too hard, fluctuating between mid-70s to low-80s with the pitch. Wahl is a fun high schooler to try and project. Everything is pretty clean and easy, and the ball looks terrific coming out of his hand. One issue from a mechanical standpoint is he can fail to finish on his pitches, leading to some control issues. But all of the pieces are there for him to develop into a productive pro. Video of Wahl’s three-inning, five strikeout performance

The full write-up for Part 2: http://pnrscouting.com/articles_wwbachampionship_pt2_11042009.html

Part 2 of my WWBA wrap posts today. Here's a player I thought some on here would find interesting -- projectable 6'4" righty from Springfield, VA, Bobby Wahl:

The full write-up for Part 2: http://pnrscouting.com/articles_wwbachampionship_pt2_11042009.html

Hmmmm, sounds like the kinda kid we would take a shot at. Projectable kid with 4 pitches and needs some refinement. I'd love to have him in our system.

Question, since he is on our scout team, does that mean that we showed initial interest in him and asked him specifically to be on our team to watch? Or is it just because the O's are the closest team to where he lives?

Hmmmm, sounds like the kinda kid we would take a shot at. Projectable kid with 4 pitches and needs some refinement. I'd love to have him in our system.

Question, since he is on our scout team, does that mean that we showed initial interest in him and asked him specifically to be on our team to watch? Or is it just because the O's are the closest team to where he lives?

The scout teams are generally put together by someone in the organization and I think the organization sponsors the team. I don't think it means that team has an edge, but I would imagine it means the kid has been contacted by someone from the organization. I just don't know the specifics. Could be that the Orioles put together a team by inviting some kids specifically and holding a tryout for other slots. I'll try and find out.

Archived