Adam Jones wins Gold Glove

jerios55

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would people feel this is hollow?

You could argue he should have had it last year...

The GG has always been ridiculous, everyone knows it, just enjoy it.

It's not like Jones is a butcher out there...I promise you he will turn in a GG season and get snubbed at some point, let him have this one.

Here's a philosophical question for you. Would you rather:

1. Have a player who deserved to win the Gold Glove, but didn't, or

2. Have a player who didn't deserve to win a Gold Glove, but did.

I'd rather have Player No. 1, personally. Awards are nice, but results are what get you wins.

One thing I will say -- the fact that Jones won may suggest that his UZR numbers were somewhat misleading. However, there's little doubt in my mind that he played better defensively in 2008 than in 2009.

Way back in post #85 of this thread, one of my favorite posters pointed out that Jones was actually tops at his position this year by some traditional measures.

The consensus of all the latest newfangled statistics is that there is no consensus. Therefore, my happiness for Jones is not bittersweet in the least.

For a guy his age to already have an All-Star appearance and a Gold Glove is 100% a good thing IMO. Many of the replies to this thread leave me wondering if peepee was raining down on some of your Cornflakes all week.

I really don't understand the sentiment that a player who didn't have a very good year wins an award and we should all be giving him a huge ovation, because, well, he's our undeserving award winner! The system is a joke, Jones got an award he didn't deserve.

You say there's no consensus among the "newfangled statistics." Really? Because I thought UZR and +/- both said he wasn't anywhere close to the best center fielder in the league, and probably not the best on his own team. Franklin Gutierrez lapped him about three times.

Should we all stand and cheer long and loud if Cesar Izturis gets the Silver Slugger at shortstop? Or if Aubrey Huff wins the MVP?

This is an anomaly of a broken system. It's nice that an Oriole benefitted, but it certainly doesn't mean anything besides he's more likely to win again whether or not he deserves it.

I really don't understand the sentiment that a player who didn't have a very good year wins an award and we should all be giving him a huge ovation, because, well, he's our undeserving award winner!

Well, what don't you understand about that? The O's are usually ignored even when they deserve some recognition, so we'll take what we can get here. And hopefully, this will motivate Jones.

Why would people feel this is hollow?

You could argue he should have had it last year...

The GG has always been ridiculous, everyone knows it, just enjoy it.

It's not like Jones is a butcher out there...I promise you he will turn in a GG season and get snubbed at some point, let him have this one.

Only by random chance are Gold Gloves not hollow. Every year there are multiple cases like Jeter, whose award is justified by saying "well, he played better so it's not as completely absurd as last year!"

I consider the voters to have done exceptionally well if they've avoided naming anyone to the award who was the worst at his position over the last year.

Here's a philosophical question for you. Would you rather:

1. Have a player who deserved to win the Gold Glove, but didn't, or

2. Have a player who didn't deserve to win a Gold Glove, but did.

I'd rather have Player No. 1, personally. Awards are nice, but results are what get you wins.

One thing I will say -- the fact that Jones won may suggest that his UZR numbers were somewhat misleading. However, there's little doubt in my mind that he played better defensively in 2008 than in 2009.

Why? That's some pretty specious logic IMO.

Two weeks ago most of us were in agreement with the stats that Adam Jones did not have a good defensive season, and now that he has been given an award based on a ridiculous and flawed system we should rethink what we felt pretty sure about?

If a particular model of car was somewhat more prone to accidents than others in its class, and the year-end statistics supported this, and there was more or less a consensus among people who were paying attention, would the fact that some irresponsible organization granted it a safety award suggest that the crash statistics were misleading?

Well, what don't you understand about that? The O's are usually ignored even when they deserve some recognition, so we'll take what we can get here. And hopefully, this will motivate Jones.

I don't see how anyone gets any satisfaction out of an Oriole being recognized for something he didn't deserve. I guess it's nice on some level, but hollow and meaningless all the same.

If Adam Jones needs undeserved awards to motivate him we have bigger problems.

I don't see how anyone gets any satisfaction out of an Oriole being recognized for something he didn't deserve. I guess it's nice on some level, but hollow and meaningless all the same.

If Adam Jones needs undeserved awards to motivate him we have bigger problems.

I can sort of understand it, but I personally don't feel it. Honestly I'm a little bit embarrassed to even bring it up among friends (let alone brag about it) because I know they could easily say "well, yeah, but he didn't deserve it" and I would have no real rebuttle. Bummer.

Only by random chance are Gold Gloves not hollow. Every year there are multiple cases like Jeter, whose award is justified by saying "well, he played better so it's not as completely absurd as last year!"

I consider the voters to have done exceptionally well if they've avoided naming anyone to the award who was the worst at his position over the last year.

Of course...so just enjoy it when you get it.

Drunken hook-ups are still hook-ups...

Archived