Adam Jones wins Gold Glove

jerios55

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gold Glove Voters are finally doing a better job in that they selected a Baltimore Oriole after a 10 year drought! Yeah! Way to go Jonesy baby. You deserved it young fella. With Jones, Pie, and Markakis we have as good a defensive outfield as any. Kudos, and Congrats to AJ!!! :clap3:Too bad we don't have a standing ovation emoticon! It sure is wonderful to finally have both a young Allstar and a Gold Glover in a BALTIMORE ORIOLE UNIFORM! FINALLY!@!!!!!!!!!!! :)

My question is which is the more undeserving? Jones or Jeter?

I think Jones had an amazing season, but out of Hunter, Jones, and Ichiro one needs to be left out. Gutierrez was so far above and beyond everyone else in baseball defensively that it is an absolute travesty he got left out.

Surprisingly, Jeter is a much more legit winner than Jones is when looking at the rankings on the UZR and +/- leader boards.

CF 2009

Player +/-

Franklin Gutierrez +43 (highest in all of baseball regardless of postion)

Tony Gwynn +23

Curtis Granderson +17

Carlos Gomez +17

Nyjer Morgan +15

Rajai Davis +14

DeWayne Wise +13

Coco Crisp +13

Josh Hamilton +12

Jones -20

SS 2009

Player +/-

Jack Wilson +32

Brendan Ryan +24

Yunel Escobar +17

Marco Scutaro +16

Elvis Andrus +15

Cesar Izturis +14

Paul Janish +13

Troy Tulowitzki +11

Stephen Drew +10

Jason Bartlett +10

Brett Gardner +11

Jeter +5 (his first postive season since the Fielding Bible started +/- in 2004)

CF 2009

Player UZR/150

Franklin Gutierrez 29.1 (highest of all baseball regardless of postion)

B.J. Upton 11.0

Mike Cameron 10.0

Colby Rasmus 8.9

Michael Bourn 8.6

Nate McLouth 3.6

Matt Kemp 2.5

Curtis Granderson 1.6

Aaron Rowand 1.3

Andrew McCutchen -0.7

Torii Hunter -1.4

Shane Victorino -4.1

Adam Jones -4.7

SS 2009

Player UZR/150

Jack Wilson 14.0

Cesar Izturis 10.8

Elvis Andrus 10.7

Adam Everett 8.9

Rafael Furcal 8.0

Erick Aybar 7.8

Ryan Theriot 7.7

Alex Gonzalez 6.7

J.J. Hardy 6.7

Derek Jeter 6.6

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that he won. It is great pub for a rising star. It is more an indictment on the fact the the system allowed him to win. There is a reason why the awards by the Fielding Bible should be the true benchmark of baseball.

I don't see how anyone gets any satisfaction out of an Oriole being recognized for something he didn't deserve. I guess it's nice on some level, but hollow and meaningless all the same.

If Adam Jones needs undeserved awards to motivate him we have bigger problems.

Some day, your young child is going to win some award that, objectively, you will realize should have gone to some other kid. And you know what? All you're going to care about is that your kid won! And it won't feel hollow, you'll be thrilled. Trust me on this one.

Archived