CAA Discussion Thread

YardBirds13

On Sunday, GMU wrapped up a 1-2 record in their Puerto Rican tournament by beating Indiana on a Cam Long 3-pointer.

The Patriots saw some good competition and hung in all three games against teams from the Big 10, ACC, and Big East. That's pretty impressive for such a young squad. Hopefully they can build on the experience and start hitting some free throws!

This is a very impressive young team that should be ready to make some noise in the CAA. Mike Morrison has become an absolute monster (17 points, 13 boards, and 7 blocks! against Indiana) and how about Luke Hancock; not too many people would have thought he would have been the best freshman so far.

Really good to see Cam Long healthy for a whole game as he really made a lot of amazing shots/plays against Indiana. I was really worried his injury may have been a bit worse; too bad he couldn’t play the second half against Nova otherwise Mason would have won.

The loss against Nova was a tough one for sure, to lose by 1 to the number 5 team in the country without your star player, couldn’t make back to back free throws down the stretch, Nova’s clutch 3 point shooting, anyway will just have to get them next time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great clip...I gotta spread rep around before it gets back to you...

I thought Johnny Williams was going to be the stud freshman, but Hancock and Foster look nice!

Morrison is going to get some great looks with Long, Cornelius and Hancock feeding him the ball.

I love this team, can't wait to catch a game at the Patriot Center this season!

That havoc causing defense is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Jeff Capel's Oklahoma (17) gets the beat down in Richmond against his old VCU Rams.

I think it's great that his contract mandated this game. I wish there were more CAA versus big conference match-ups. Mason should be playing Maryland, UVA, and Georgetown from year to year.

Dude, I was there and it was CRAZY! The atmosphere was so intense and the crowd was so in to the game. VCU never gave up the lead the entire game. What an awesome victory for VCU.

They held on to beat Nevada last night as well.

Fortunately, the Mason/GW game is on MASN tonight.

Does any of the Patriots insiders on here know why Cornelius and Pearson have 1 game suspensions? What's the story there?

Cam Long looks hurt. He left the first half holding his back.

Hancock is a bad mamma jamma. He looks good.

This is a great game for the freshman to step up. I'd like to see more from Williams.

Fortunately, the Mason/GW game is on MASN tonight.

Does any of the Patriots insiders on here know why Cornelius and Pearson have 1 game suspensions? What's the story there?

Cam Long looks hurt. He left the first half holding his back.

Hancock is a bad mamma jamma. He looks good.

This is a great game for the freshman to step up. I'd like to see more from Williams.

This W&M team is for real this year. They took down my beloved Rams on Saturday. They deserved that win. VCU had a 16 point lead at one point and the Tribe came clawing back.

AC and Pearson were suspended for stealing pillows from a hotel. Ugh, it would have been nice to take down GW. I was at the game with my friends and it wasn't pretty. Big game tomorrow when Mason hosts Wright, Johnson & Johnson and the rest of Dayton.

Hopefully W&M take down the Terps.

The Rams pulled it out again last night. Down 9 to the University of Richkids at the half, they were able to fight back, going on a 13-0 run at one point in the 2nd half. It wasn't pretty, but I'll take any win over cross-town rival Richmond.

The Rams pulled it out again last night. Down 9 to the University of Richkids at the half, they were able to fight back, going on a 13-0 run at one point in the 2nd half. It wasn't pretty, but I'll take any win over cross-town rival Richmond.

Do they usually play the Spiders each year? If so, that's pretty cool.

I wish Mason would get shots at UVA, MD and also Richmond.

Do they usually play the Spiders each year? If so, that's pretty cool.

I wish Mason would get shots at UVA, MD and also Richmond.

Yep, they play each other once a year. It's the annual Black & Blue Classic. It was nice when UR was in the CAA and they played them twice a year, but then the Richkids decided they were too good for the conference. In case you couldn't tell, I can't stand UR, or as some Ram fans say, "The University of Connecticut at Henrico County." My fiance went there...let's just say we don't get along when it comes to college basketball. :D

I wish the CAA could get more games with the bigger colleges too, but honestly, after the last few years of the CAA taking out some big names (GMU in the Fianl 4, VCU knocking off Duke, Maryland, Oklahoma and almost beating UCLA last year; W&M almost beating UCON this year, etc.) I often wonder if the big conferences will schedule them. VCU plays Alabama for a home-and-home series starting in 2011, but that was part of Anthony Grant's contract if he ever left for a bigger school. Same went for Capel when he bolted for Oklahoma.

I think GMU would be a good fit to play UVA every year. Maryland or even Georgetown would be a good fit because of proximity. My dad said when he went to VCU, they had a yearly matchup with UVA and VCU used to wipe the floor with them. Now they won't schedule them anymore.

Old Dominion up by 18 at one point beats #11 Georgetown in DC again. I’m a Hoyas fan so I would have liked to see them win but all credit to ODU and another good win for the CAA. The MASN feed got a bit choppy a couple times but ESPN360 came through in the clutch.

How about VCU ha? Never would I’ve thought they would be this good this season. Wins over #17 Oklahoma at the time and they also beat a very good/underrated Richmond team who just beat #13 Florida at Florida today. Richmond also has wins against Mississippi State, Missouri, and Old Dominion.

I could see 3 CAA teams potentially getting into the Big Dance this year. Ranked teams have been dropping like flies this year and some of the “power” conferences have lost a lot of fire power due to many of their players going to the NBA.

Not trying to get off topic but it’s been great to see a lot of good mid majors have success so far this year and a lot of the ranked teams losing to teams the average fan would say how the heck did that happen?

Archived