CAA Discussion Thread

YardBirds13

While George Mason looked great against James Madison last Saturday' date=' I just want to say how good JMU is going to be next year. Julius Wells (17.2ppg) has really stepped up to another level in his sophomore year and Denzel Bowles is a beast (22.4 and 10 a game) - needs to work on his D a bit more though. When Devon Moore comes back healthy; CAA watch out. Except Mason; they won’t have to worry about anyone in the CAA or NCAA next year.:D

George Mason going on the road Tuesday to face one of the game’s unknown stars in Charles Jenkins and Hofstra. [b']7pm ESPNU![/b] Hofstra still isn’t that good and Mason should win this one by 6, 7 points and whoop up on Towson on Saturday.

Jenkins has been getting a lot of pub on ESPN NCAA basketball this year; twice I’ve seen him as the featured story on their front page. - Once as one of the NCAA’s most underrated and recently listed as the third best player in the nation on bad teams.

Can't believe I missed this post all weekend. Nice work by your Patriots to come in and beat us, although the "Hot Dog Fiasco" certainly didn't help us. Our fanbase sucks. Another nice win for Mason against the Flying Charles Jenkins' tonight. I've watched alot of CAA basketball, and there is a VERY clear Top 4. ODU, W&M, Mason and Northeastern are the cream of the league, and the other teams aren't close. I just don't think VCU's guards are good enough this year. And obviously without Moore and Semenov JMU doesn't have all our bullets we wish we did.

Next year could be a Mason-JMU battle, where hopefully we both do enough in the OOC that we could both be battling for At-Large bids next year. That's how high my hopes are. Bowles is a beast, as you mentioned his D is nothing to write home about, obviously, and many JMU fans have KILLED him for it. But, really? The guy averages 22 and 9 or so. Killing him for is bad D is typical terrible JMU fan attitude.

Wells gets streaky and takes some bad shots, but he just keeps getting better and better. IT will be great to have Moore back, he is a great perimeter defender and really knows how to run the show. Semenov is a nice glue guy and our freshman 2 guard this year, Darren White, has played really well in spurts and can leap out of the gym (something like a 49 inch vert). Alioune Diouf and Trevon Flores (little and big) have also gotten minutes this year and each look great and terrible on and off. Flores needs to put some weight on a tiny frame and Diouf just needs more time on the floor.

We will miss Pierre Curtis, who has really stepped up with Moore going out, as well as being really the only senior on the team, but I'll take a rotation of Moore-White-Diouf-Wells-Semenov-Flores-Bowles to try and win the CAA. I also believe we have a pretty solid 4-man coming in with our recruiting class as well.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see the game, but it looks like VCU's defense was the difference. W&M shot about 26% from 3pt range and 39% overall, which you can't do when you rely on 3 pointers as almost half of your shots.

I didn't see it either, but from what I read, that's about right.

With Pearson out last night, senior Louis Birdsong picked up the slack in GMU's win over UD. The Patriots keep the pace in the CAA.

Birdsong's minutes have really dwindled because of Pearson's play, but coach L offerred a lot of praise for Birdsong for remaining focused and ready to step up.

Yeesh. W&M lost again. This time at JMU. JMU hit two free throws to go up 65-63 with 2:08 left and neither team scored again. I think this is about the time that reality sets in for Tribe fans. We'll always have the 1983 NIT.

What's going on with them? I haven't seen any recent games. I was hoping W&M could keep things going and make the CAA tourney a little more interesting (unless they had to play VCU of course ;).)

What's going on with them? I haven't seen any recent games. I was hoping W&M could keep things going and make the CAA tourney a little more interesting (unless they had to play VCU of course ;).)

Don't know because I still haven't seen us play (hard to catch a W&M game from Alabama), but we're playing that new hybrid system that Katz wrote about. I guess teams are figuring it out. Either that or our shooting has gone cold.

Luckily we have your boy Anthony Grant down here at Alabama, so as W&M fades I can watch Alabama rise. Beat LSU pretty good last night holding them to 13 points in the 2nd half.

Really excited to watch ODU/Northeastern...Two of the hottest teams in the country.

Should be a good one; CSN with the so called HD feed as well.

Cam Long is turning into Eric Maynor. He’s evolving from star CAA player to superstar.

3 pointers, mid range, drive to the baskets, dunks, clutch shot after clutch shot, he’s really becoming a beast. Ever since he went on his new diet and took care of his cramps he has been a scoring machine. Combine that with Coach Larranaga making ACornelius the point guard; Mason has been scoring at will.

Since the diet, and the switch to the 2 – Cam Long last 6 games. 22 points a game, 62% from the field, 54% from behind the arc, 3.7 assist a game. Player of the week in CAA last week. (last week, all 3 games on road)

And what about Cornelius; he had 5 games prior to the switch where he scored in double figures. He’s already matched that, scoring in double digits 5 out of the last 6. He’s been averaging 13.5 last 6 and is shooting over 45% from three on the season.

Pearson been a beast in the post all season, Birdsong 2 good games in a row, JWilliams had some good minutes today, Sherrod is going to be a player, Mike Mo’s been good, Mason 10-1 in CAA.

Should be a good one; CSN with the so called HD feed as well.

Cam Long is turning into Eric Maynor. He’s evolving from star CAA player to superstar.

3 pointers' date=' mid range, drive to the baskets, dunks, clutch shot after clutch shot, he’s really becoming a beast. Ever since he went on his new diet and took care of his cramps he has been a scoring machine. Combine that with Coach Larranaga making ACornelius the point guard; Mason has been scoring at will.

Since the diet, and the switch to the 2 – Cam Long last 6 games. 22 points a game, 62% from the field, 54% from behind the arc, 3.7 assist a game. Player of the week in CAA last week. (last week, all 3 games on road)

And what about Cornelius; he had 5 games prior to the switch where he scored in double figures. He’s already matched that, scoring in double digits 5 out of the last 6. He’s been averaging 13.5 last 6 and is shooting over 45% from three on the season.

Pearson been a beast in the post all season, Birdsong 2 good games in a row, JWilliams had some good minutes today, Sherrod is going to be a player, Mike Mo’s been good, Mason 10-1 in CAA.[/quote']

They almost gave that one away! Credit JMU for hanging around and getting a bunch of points at the end with little time going off the clock.

Agree with everything you say about Long! Gotta love the jell-o. The announcer today (it was Al Coken and someone else) said that Long may be able to play in the NBA.

Loved the three freshman lineup when they had Hancock, Wright, and Williams in there.

Birdsong is definitely a coach L guy. His experience and leadership is going to be very important when they get into the conference tourney.

Archived