Schmuck: O's getting closer on Millwood

jdmyprez

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rosenthal is claiming the O's "could" turn their sites to Lowe.

Why wouldn't the O's just offer to pay the full monte for one year so they wouldn't have to give up virtually anything in prospects for Millwood (if they want him so bad)

I think it might just come full circle. After the Rangers scour the league for massive offers for an expensive, mediocre pitcher, they may just come back to whoever will pay for said pitcher in cash. Or they'll just keep him.

I will note that, as important as it is to discount Millwood's 2009 due to unsustainable peripherals (LOB%), his 2007 and 2008 were not as bad as the numbers suggest.

What's the value of a guy who throws 180 IP of 4.50 ERA baseball?

Not sure. Probably not $12m and Brandon Erbe, though. But I don't want to be accused of calling Millwood trash.

Rosenthal is claiming the O's "could" turn their sites to Lowe.

Why wouldn't the O's just offer to pay the full monte for one year so they wouldn't have to give up virtually anything in prospects for Millwood (if they want him so bad)

Because according to Roch they not only want the team to pay most if not all of the salary and they want a significant prospect in return. That just aint happening. They have zero leverage.

http://masnsports.com/2009/12/gammons-will-be-gone.html

I think it might just come full circle. After the Rangers scour the league for massive offers for an expensive, mediocre pitcher, they may just come back to whoever will pay for said pitcher in cash. Or they'll just keep him.

Exactly, I think you and others have said why would you give a decent prospect and pay all or most of Millwood's salary when you can simply sign a FA that will likely give you similar results for less cash. The only real benefit of going the Millwood route is that you aren't wooing him tho you will have to pay a premium of sorts (the prospect).

Because according to Roch they not only want the team to pay most if not all of the salary and they want a significant prospect in return. That just aint happening. They have zero leverage.

http://masnsports.com/2009/12/gammons-will-be-gone.html

I suppose my point is that for one year the dollars are not that important. If the O's want him, offer to pay the full $12 million and offer them a less than mediocre prospect. If they can get a better deal then good for them. To me the $12 million is less important than the prospect. But then I don't write the checks.

I suppose my point is that for one year the dollars are not that important. If the O's want him, offer to pay the full $12 million and offer them a less than mediocre prospect. If they can get a better deal then good for them. To me the $12 million is less important than the prospect. But then I don't write the checks.

I think everybody gets your point. The reports indicate that the Rangers want the O's to pick up most, if not all, of Millwood's salary and include a top prospect.

One thing with Millwood is that he's pitched in some terrible pitcher's parks for most of his career, including 6 of the last 7 in Texas and Philadelphia. That has something to do with his average numbers.

Good, he should feel right at home in Camden yards.

I just can't believe that AM would offer DH and Erbe. I'd be disappointed if he gave them either one on their own.

He never offered that. That was never reported.

The report came from Spencer Fordin, who said the Rangers asked about Tillman, and the talks came from that to Hernandez and Erbe.

That doesn't mean AM offered both for Millwood. It just means they talked about those guys.

Don't people get how negotiating works? Of course Texas is going to ask about Tillman. And they will discuss a ton of guys before settling on a deal. People think this stuff just materializes out of nowhere.

Archived