Cubs, M's swap Milton Bradley for Carlos Silva

CrimsonTribe

If they are able to extend Cliff Lee sometime in the future, I think that move alone could justify their offseason. Otherwise, I see a bunch of moves for veterans that will not contribute to long term success. They're kind of the anti-orioles at this point..

Looks to me like the are trying to win this year and frankly I think with the loses of Lackey and Figgins they should be favored at this point in the offseason.

Looks to me like the are trying to win this year and frankly I think with the loses of Lackey and Figgins they should be favored at this point in the offseason.

Yeah, they may win a division this year.. But the in sports, IMO the goal should always be to build your franchise/organization/team into a long term consistent winner/contender.. I don't see that they are doing that.

This is an absolutely beautiful move by the Mariners. They took a horrendous player with a nigh unmovable contract in Carlos Silva, and was able to get a supremely talented switch hitter with a career .371 OBP, something the M's offense desperately needs. The clubhouse problems are a pretty big caveat of course, but Seattle is hardly Chicago, so I believe Bradley could easily receive that relative solace he enjoyed in Texas. All indications are that Don Wakamatsu is very good manager who runs a relaxed clubhouse so I doubt we will have any dueling egos here either. With all these moves, I guess we can officially say the Bill Bavasi era is over. It was fun while it lasted. :wedge:

Archived