Way-too-early Dream Draft

Crawdad is back posting full time at Camdendepot.blogspot.com (and I'll be adding thoughts as time allows). With my attention focused on pnrscouting, the blogspot site is much easier for a busy guy like Craw to keep recent. Anyway, he was out this weekend so in his absence I put up a "Dream Draft" -- that is, my idea of the ideal draft for BAL (first 10 rounds) as of this past weekend. The players will likely change by the time the draft comes around, but the strategy/thoughts should remain the same unless the landscape of the class changes drastically (a lot of players from one group rising or falling).

Any way, here is how the draft went -- the link has the full write-up including player descriptions and my thinking. Thoughts?

1:3 Jameson Taillon, RHP, The Woodlands HS (Texas) Estimated Bonus, $5.5million; Total Spent, $5.5million.

2:3 No Pick Total Spent: $5.5million.

3:3 Marcus Littlewood, SS, Pineview HS (Utah) Estimated Bonus, $450K (a little over slot); Total Spent, $6.0million.

4:3 Tyler Holt, OF, Florida State Univ. Estimated Bonus, $375K; Total Spent, $6.38million.

5:3 Nick Pepitone, RHP, Tulane Univ. Estimated Bonus, $200K; Total Spent, $6.58million.

6:3 AJ Vanegas, RHP, Redwood Christian HS (Calif.) Estimated Bonus; $900K, Total Spent, $7.48million.

7:3 Colin Bates, RHP, Univ. of North Carolina Estimated Bonus; $200K, Total Spent, $7.68 million.

8:3 Blake Kelso, 2B/SS. Univ. of Houston Estimated Bonus; $125K, Total Spent, $7.93million.

9:3 Jake Rodriguez, C, Elk Grove HS (Calif.) Estimated Bonus; $175K, Total Spent, $8.11million.

10:3 Matthew Price, RHP, Virginia Tech (Sophomore) Estimated Cost, $450K; Total Spent, $8.56million.

5:3 Nick Pepitone, RHP, Tulane Univ. Estimated Bonus, $200K; Total Spent, $6.58million.[/i]

Intrigued, I found out that yes, he is related to Joe Pepitone.

Personal: Born Nicholas Joseph Pepitone on Jan. 19, 1989 in Houston, Texas...son of Jody and Lisa Pepitone...has one brother, Ryan Mader, who played baseball at Southwestern University...cousin, Joe Pepitone, played 12 years in the Major Leagues with the New York Yankees, Houston Astros, Chicago Cubs and Atlanta Braves...proposed major is business.

Good stuff, as always, Stotle. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Stotle again."

Intrigued, I found out that yes, he is related to Joe Pepitone.

Good stuff, as always, Stotle. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Stotle again."

Thanks. Nick's a fun player. Though he's a future reliever, he's a big kid that can put on a nice little BP display -- saw him launch a few out of one of the workout fields down at the Team USA training facilities this past summer. Legit MOON shots!

Archived