Who I see shining...

It's early, but here are a few 1st-rounders that I anticipate will really shine in 2010, enhancing their positions in the draft, or in the very least- stabilizing their expected status.

All players/profiles can be found at Draft America...

Jameson Taillon, RHP, The Woodlands HS (TX). Pending an expected dominant showing as a senior, Taillon may be among the best prep pitching prospects ever, and would normally be the favorite to go number one overall- if Bryce Harper hadn't been added to the mix. I still feel that Taillon has a chance to go #1 overall.

Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, LSU. Expect more of the same from Ranaudo... excellent results from a sound 'top of the rotation' prospect. I'll be somewhat surprised if he falls out of the top four.

Drew Pomeranz, LHP, Ole Miss. The big lefty has the goods, and appears primed for a big junior campaign.

Nick Castellanos, 3B, Archbishop McCarthy HS (FL). I expect a huge season from Castellanos, and feel this super-talented youngster could very well challenge for a top five selection.

Bryce Brentz, RF, Middle Tennessee. I think Brentz repeats his brilliant sophomore season and will make for a very solid pro. Though he hits right-handed, he reminds me a bit of Nick Markakis... not in stance, but overall game and projection.

Manny Machado, SS, Brito HS (FL). I love his upside and believe he'll stick at short. Even with a move to second, he could be a very good pro.

Dylan Covey, RHP, Maranatha HS (CA). I look for Covey to vault into the Top 10 by draft day. Outstanding makeup/stuff.

Kaleb Cowart, RHP/3B, Cook County HS (GA). Scouts are split on his future, but I believe his higher upside lies at third base. Though a shortstop in HS, he profiles as a very good defensive third-baseman, and offensively is a powerful switch-hitter with real promise at bat.

Archived