I'm torn over Taillon vs Machado

I know it probably didn't mean to be but that was a very entertaining debate to read. I understand both arguments and i don't know enough about scouting highschoolers or college players and projecting their future stats and ability to be able to contribute to the debate. Taillon has as much chance to be a bust as any 13 round draft pick out of Maple Woods Community College become one of the greatest player in the game. Taillon has a good size and frame and is young and advance enough with his 3 plus pitches to get him a great head start in having a productive future. Of course so did Beau Hale and unforeseen conditions stopped him. I like the idea of taking a young strong arm and bring him up correctly with no rush and having him beat down the door like Matusz did to be in the Majors. Taillon would look great in a starting rotation that has names Matusz,Tillman,Areitta,and Hobgood next him. Of course just because he has the frame and ability to be a star doesn't guarantee he will be one. I think you can make a more successful argument why the Orioles should draft him then an argument on why the Orioles shouldn't.

• 8 years later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was reminiscing about Taillon vs Machado in the draft, after Taillon’s most recent start where he added a slider to his repertoire. Wanted to look at some Taillon threads to look back at the sentiment here.

It’s funny to see how it played out with the Pirates making the wrong choice. I doubt they would’ve squandered the opportunity if they had Manny, like we have.

On 5/15/2010 at 10:01 AM, Stotle said:

I'm not -- Taillon by a fair amount for me. Let someone else spend the resources to develop Machado.

Wow there are some funny quotes in here, with hindsight.   I'm not posting these to make fun of the people who quoted them, just to point out how hindsight changes so many things! 

On 5/19/2010 at 2:15 PM, Justinlstn said:

If i had to choose between the two i still say we go with Taillon. The more top tier pitchers we have the more expendable some of them become. If we can somehow work a trade to Milwaukee and nab Fielder before he becomes a FA (only if he agrees to sign a deal with us) it will be worth it. We already have (in no particular ranking or order) Britton, Hobgood, Arrietta, Matusz, Tillman, and Erbe along with a couple of more good arms. We add Taillon in there then we are sitting pretty. Were not going to outspend 65% of the teams out there but we do have a very good farm system that is better then most. If Pitt takes Taillon or Machado then obviously JJ won't have a tough choice. But if both fall to us. I would vote Taillon.

On 5/19/2010 at 5:54 PM, Frobby said:

Should we be influenced at all by the fact that our minor league system just seems to be flat-out better at maximizing pitchers' talents than they are at maximizing hitters'?

On 5/19/2010 at 6:02 PM, PBR Street Gang said:

Also Manny Machado running reminds me of Brandon Fahey. :eek: Not good.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=7243401

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2010 at 9:23 AM, Justinlstn said:

I know it probably didn't mean to be but that was a very entertaining debate to read. I understand both arguments and i don't know enough about scouting highschoolers or college players and projecting their future stats and ability to be able to contribute to the debate. Taillon has as much chance to be a bust as any 13 round draft pick out of Maple Woods Community College become one of the greatest player in the game. Taillon has a good size and frame and is young and advance enough with his 3 plus pitches to get him a great head start in having a productive future. Of course so did Beau Hale and unforeseen conditions stopped him. I like the idea of taking a young strong arm and bring him up correctly with no rush and having him beat down the door like Matusz did to be in the Majors. Taillon would look great in a starting rotation that has names Matusz,Tillman,Areitta,and Hobgood next him. Of course just because he has the frame and ability to be a star doesn't guarantee he will be one. I think you can make a more successful argument why the Orioles should draft him then an argument on why the Orioles shouldn't.

Rotation of aces!  The only really good pitcher, Arietta, was traded for next to nothing.  Ok, Tillman did have some good years.

Archived