Machado vs T. Beckham

and Grant Green, Mike Moustakas, Matt Bush,

Aren't your guys worried? with so many SS flop or semi-flops on the top of the draft?

Certainly concerned, which is why I'd much rather have Taillon.

However, with the 3rd pick the O's HAVE to take the best player available, and the nationwide consensus is that one of Machado or Taillon is the 3rd best player in the country. The O's will have to take whichever is there.

The UPSIDE potential of Machado is AROD lite...not too shabby :)

How are they flops?

And what do these guys have to do with Machado?

This is the thing, you are comparing 2 different types of SS prospects. Beckham had a lot of value wrapped up in his defensive ability. I believe he was a very strong bet to stay at SS as well and has lighting quick and hands and feet. The problem was that he put on more bulk than expected. He slowed down and lost athleticism. His trunk is very big as well which means he may get even bigger. IMO Machado is more of an offensively minded SS.

However, with the 3rd pick the O's HAVE to take the best player available, and the nationwide consensus is that one of Machado or Taillon is the 3rd best player in the country. The O's will have to take whichever is there.

The UPSIDE potential of Machado is AROD lite...not too shabby :)

This "A-Rod-lite" business really needs to end. How lite are we talking? Ultra-lite?

Machado doesn't have near the power potential of an A-Rod and I don't think he'll be near as disciplined. You can't just take the best big, Latin shortstop you can think of and start throwing up comps like that. They don't profile all that similarly.

This "A-Rod-lite" business really needs to end. How lite are we talking? Ultra-lite?

Machado doesn't have near the power potential of an A-Rod and I don't think he'll be near as disciplined. You can't just take the best big, Latin shortstop you can think of and start throwing up comps like that. They don't profile all that similarly.

Yunel Escobar is one comp he's had.

How are they flops?

And what do these guys have to do with Machado?

Have you seen their offensive numbers yet? None of them impress me at all. If you get to pick one of them now, and have to pay out 4mil+ bonus, who do you want?

I would certainly stay with Taillon.

Machado has "BUST" written all over him. He's probably not going to be able to stick at 3rd (I meant Short Stop), he's going to eat up a lot of the Orioles draft financial resources, and he won't have the bat to stick at any other position. This is the worst possible outcome for the O's in this draft. I'd rather the O's skip their pick until later in the draft and pick Colon. At least Colon has shown that he can hit off elite college pitchers.

Like Jordan and AM really care about Nationwide consensus (Remember Hobgood). I really hope Pittsburgh draft Machado, it will make their decision much easier.

Have you seen their offensive numbers yet? None of them impress me at all. If you get to pick one of them now, and have to pay out 4mil+ bonus, who do you want?

I would certainly stay with Taillon.

I can't figure out who you're referring to, here. But if you're referring to the players you mentioned above...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=mousta001mik

If you're not impressed by Moustakas' numbers, then :eek:.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=green-001gra

I think of Stephen Drew every time i read something about Machado. That is fine by me. I am not greedy. I would be happy with someone like Drew at SS for the O's. Drew went like 12th inthe draft but should have been top 5 except people got scared off by the Boras issue.

Archived