Who do We Draft #1 Next Year?

So I don't know too much about high school/college baseball, and I will just go ahead and assume that we will finish with the worst record in baseball this year...If this is the case, are there any huge phenoms that we would have the chance to draft at the #1 spot?

No Bryce Harper-esque players I assume.

So I don't know too much about high school/college baseball, and I will just go ahead and assume that we will finish with the worst record in baseball this year...If this is the case, are there any huge phenoms that we would have the chance to draft at the #1 spot?

No Bryce Harper-esque players I assume.

Anthony Rendon-third baseman from Rice. He wants to play for his home town of Houston so we shall see. I don't think he is thought of like Harper or Strasburg.

Anthony Rendon-third baseman from Rice. He wants to play for his home town of Houston so we shall see. I don't think he is thought of like Harper or Strasburg.

Actually some of the draft experts are saying they would take Rendon over Harper.

Actually some of the draft experts are saying they would take Rendon over Harper.

Correct, in a BA chat about the draft, when asked who would go first if Rendon was available in this draft, John Manuel said:

"I think there would be a ton of debate. I haven't asked anyone that question straight-up; too many other questions to ask. But Rendon's having an amazing year, and if Harper is moving to right field (as appears to be the most likely scenario), then I'd lean toward Rendon going No. 1 overall. You can't convince me Harper's bat will be so much more productive than Rendon's, though Harper has more raw power. Rendon has plenty of power and more pure hitting ability. Tough call but I'd go Rendon."

Connor Glassey, on OTH said:

"I know Jim Callis has said he'd take Rendon, but I would go with Harper. Harper will probably move to right field if he doesn't catch, but if it weren't for Ryan Zimmerman, he could actually play third base too. So, I don't think the position difference gives Rendon much advantage. Don't get me wrong, it's close - but, for me, Harper has youth, bigger tools and the fact that he hits lefthanded on his side. John - who would you take?"

If we take Machado at SS this year and Rendon at 3B next year, that should go a ways toward improving the hitting vs. pitching talent, particularly for infielders, in our minor league system.

Archived