Mark My Words (A post about the second worst team in baseball)

Camden_yardbird

But I think the Pirates offense will generate serious national attention by the end of the year. The Pirates have brought up the farm, and they are good. Alvarez, Cutch, Tabata, Walker, even Lastings Milledge will really surprise some people in the second half.

This team needs to add 2-3 serious reliable SPs in the offseason to be a factor next year, but they will be a factor in the NL central the second part of this season if they get the pitching.

Don't believe me: (last 4 games)

54 hits, 33 runs

And tonight by the 5th inning:

9 hits, 10 runs

If the Pirates spend money this off-season we may be seeing the next TB emerge.

This may be a little premature — this was largely the same crew who rode a 6-game losing streak during which they scored only 12 runs into the AS Break —but the recent returns do look encouraging. Especially Alvarez, who's just raking right now. His second home run tonight (his 4th in 2 nights!) would've reached the Allegheny if it hadn't dinged the foul pole first.

The most impressive part of the past two nights, to me, is that they've done it without McCutchen, who's nursing a sore shoulder.

Pedro Alvarez' monthly splits:

Split	G	GS	PA	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS	TB	GDP	HBP	SH	SF	IBB	ROE	BAbip	tOPS+	sOPS+June	14	13	51	46	3	7	2	0	0	5	0	0	4	22	.152	.216	.196	.411	9	2	0	0	1	0	0	.280	5	14July	16	16	69	62	12	21	4	0	7	15	0	0	7	19	.339	.406	.742	1.148	46	1	0	0	0	0	1	.389	171	203

If he keeps this up, he's a legit ROY candidate.

It'll only be a matter of time before the Pirates and Royals get themselves out of the gutter. The biggest reason is that they are not in the AL or NL East -- the toughest divisions in baseball.

Don't discount improved amateur and international drafting and development. Both Moore and Huntington have made their share of gaffes with their ML rosters, but the infrastructures of both orgs are in better shape than they've been in a long, long while.

It'll only be a matter of time before the Pirates and Royals get themselves out of the gutter. The biggest reason is that they are not in the AL or NL East -- the toughest divisions in baseball.

This line has only been repeated for the last 15-20 years. Maybe this time it will actually come true, but just like I said about the Rays, and I keep having to say about the Orioles, I'll believe it when I see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived