Nick's defense..UZR

Sports Guy

I noticed that his UZR has gotten worse as of late and it has never been above the 0 mark this year.

I gotta say, I really disagree with this. First of all, I don't see why it has jumped up so much in the last 3-4 weeks.

Secondly, his defense, by the eye test, is definitely better than it was the first 3-4 months of the season last year, where his UZR took the big hit and never really recovered.

Do you guys agree with this UZR number? (currently at -5.5)

Do you think he has been a below average defensive player this year?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed that his UZR has gotten worse as of late and it has never been above the 0 mark this year.

I gotta say, I really disagree with this. First of all, I don't see why it has jumped up so much in the last 3-4 weeks.

Secondly, his defense, by the eye test, is definitely better than it was the first 3-4 months of the season last year, where his UZR took the big hit and never really recovered.

Do you guys agree with this UZR number? (currently at -5.5)

Do you think he has been a below average defensive player this year?

Not knowing much about UZR myself, but I definitely disagree with it.

Like you his "defense by the eye". Is much better this year. It seems like when ever I'm watching highlights from a game or a game at self he's always in there at some point making a great play.

We had another discussion about this, and it's probably park effects. He apparently is significantly above average on the road, but well below average at OPACY. I think a blind spot for UZR may be players who play in front of relatively short (distance-wise) fences that are tall. See Manny - he's still bad in LA, but not Boston bad. Jason Bay is a similar case.

Eh, probably a SSS issue, I just looked at his career UZR/150 and it's 2.2, I think that's pretty close to what he is. An above average fielding OF with a great arm. The number should probably be a little higher but whatever. I'd like to ask Dave Cameron about it, though, see what he has to say.

Its funny because last year, I agreed with these numbers...He looked like he had poor range for a lot of the season and just wasn't getting to balls.

But this year, it doesn't appear that way.

I agree with you. Last year I thought he was playing poorly, or at least average which is poor for him, to start the year, and the numbers reflected that.

I think he's been fine out there this year, but the numbers don't reflect that.

Maybe there is something to what Drungo says about park effects. That would make sense.

We had another discussion about this, and it's probably park effects. He apparently is significantly above average on the road, but well below average at OPACY. I think a blind spot for UZR may be players who play in front of relatively short (distance-wise) fences that are tall. See Manny - he's still bad in LA, but not Boston bad. Jason Bay is a similar case.

So, then would you agree that looking at his WAR number this year isn't really a reflection of his value?

Defensive metrics are laregly born from the land of wind and ghosts. I honestly don't know how anyone can look at Nick and call him a below-average RF. That simply does not compute.
you could look at him last year and call him that, especially early in the year.

Defense isn't static. It goes up and down just like hitting.

It's funny, like SG I sometimes agree with UZR (by eye) and sometimes do not- like in this case. It's too bad because WAR is tainted and it's such a nice all-encompassing number to hold in your hands and easily do things with.

It's funny, like SG I sometimes agree with UZR (by eye) and sometimes do not- like in this case. It's too bad because WAR is tainted and it's such a nice all-encompassing number to hold in your hands and easily do things with.

But are we been a hypocrite here?

I mean, for all of the talk about how the defensive metrics are inconsistent, did anyone complain about the for Nick in 2008? If it showed him above average this year, would this thread have been made?

It seems as if we only want to believe what we want to believe sometimes when it comes to UZR.

I just have a real issue with his this year...he just doesn't look that bad at all out there.

Archived