Lou Piniella to retire today

EtotheKallday17

Hats off to Lou.

Almost 46 years ago, he made his MLB wearing #24 in an Orioles uniform, grounding out as a pinch-hitter for the late Robin Roberts in a loss in LA.

Three of his four Orioles appearances came as a pinch-runner, many bottles of beer ago.

"When I previously announced my intentions to retire at the end of the season, a primary reason for my decision was that it would allow me to spend more valuable time with my family. That time has unfortunately gotten here sooner than I could have ever expected. As many know, the several weeks since that announcement was made have been very difficult on a family level, requiring two leaves of absence from the club. While I fully intended to manage this club the rest of the season, a family situation at home now requires my full attention.

As I said last month, I couldn't be more appreciative of the Cubs organization for providing me the opportunity to be their manager. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world and I consider this the ultimate way to end my managerial career. I am thankful to the Ricketts family for their support – Cubs fans are fortunate to have an owner like the Ricketts family to lead this organization for the long-term. I also couldn't be more thankful to Jim Hendry for bringing me to Chicago. ... Finally, to the Cubs fans, thank you for four wonderful seasons. You are the best, most deserving fans in all of baseball and it has been an honor to manage your ballclub."

Classy move for the guy to look out for his family. Great career, but for some reason, I think we'll see him manage again one day.

I'm glad to see Piniella has his priorities in order. His mom is in dire straits and he needs to be there for her.

Unlike Tony, I think Lou is done as a manager. He's 67 years old and has been through a lot of wars. Time to hang 'em up.

Archived