Kasten stepping down

Moose Milligan

Just heard on the radio Stan Kasten is stepping down at the end of this season. This is curious news. Stan doesn't strike me as they type of guy to quit when the job isn't finished. To me this smells like an impatient ownership group that is dissatisfied with three last place finishes in a row. I don't wish the Nats any ill will, just pointing out a new President probably means a new GM and a new plan/direction. Things were looking up for this franchise when Strasburg got signed. Now they're back in the cellar. It's funny how both the Nats and the O's can't seem to sustain any long term success. With both franchises just when you think they are turning the corner they hit bottom again.

Yes, he tried to take a lot of credit for their success.

Not sure what you mean by that. If he ever said "it was my idea to draft Chipper over Todd Van Poppel," then shame on him. But IMO Kasten does deserve a good deal of credit for the Braves success, just not for on the field actions. He is a calm but clear leader who establishes stability in the front office and acts as a go between between the on field people and the generally impatient owner.

Tom Boswell had an interesting article recently (might even have been yesterday) to predicting that Kasten was leaving and that it does not bode well for the Nats. According to Boswell, Kasten has been the force for spending money, against resistance from the Lerners.

If this is the case, then I agree with Boz: it's bad news for Nats' fans.

Bad news for Adam Dunn, too.

Archived