Gus Gilchrist

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commits to MD over Georgetown, Kentucky, WVU, and UVA. He's a 6'10, 235 pound center. Does anyone know anything about him?

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3290154

He's scum that used the 4/16 tragedy as an excuse to back out of his LOI to Virginia Tech. He comes complete with a "personal trainer" and no moral backbone. Enjoy him, Terps. I hope he tears an ACL.

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine? Nice thing to say about an 18-year-old kid.

As a graduate of Virginia Tech, I abhor any kid, or adult, that seeks to take advantage of the 4/16 tragedy for personal gain. Gilchrist may be a great basketball player, but to use the tragedy as an excuse to break a commitment shows a tremendous lack of class, IMO.

Commits to MD over Georgetown, Kentucky, WVU, and UVA. He's a 6'10, 235 pound center. Does anyone know anything about him?

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3290154

He's quite good. This takes the sting off of losing Jennings. They're comparable in terms of talent (with different games), but Gilchrist isn't likely to be a one and done and is already qualified. Big get. Mosley-Gilchrist-Majok (or even just the first two), would be an excellent class, probably top 5-10 in the country.

As a graduate of Virginia Tech, I abhor any kid, or adult, that seeks to take advantage of the 4/16 tragedy for personal gain. Gilchrist may be a great basketball player, but to use the tragedy as an excuse to break a commitment shows a tremendous lack of class, IMO.

I agree that I'm uncomfortable with the situation. I also hesitate to read too much into because my information is limited.

That said, if I committed around the time of the Va Tech tragedy, it might have had an effect on my choice, too. Not in any way that's necessarily negative, by the way.

And, seeing as he chose Maryland over more "storied" programs (and arguably better ones over the past few years) maybe this IS a comfort situation.

It's fine to think that's a bad reason to de-committ, but how did he use the tragedy for personal gain?

I don't really understand how he's using the tragedy for personal gain. If he wanted to de-commit, he could do so anytime. The tragedy didn't give him an extra chance. It's always a possibility.

Not really. He had signed his LOI and so he could not decommitt and go somewhere else. To get around this he took a year off and used the 4/16 tragedy as leverage to get VT to let him out of his LOI.

IMO, when Gus committed to VT he was a nobody (in terms of national buzz) but then he blew up thanks to a strong senior campaign. His personal trainer thought he'd be better served at a better basketball school so Gus used the 4/16 tragedy to force VT to let him out of his LOI. Very, very shady. The kid may be a baller but he has no class.

I don't really understand how he's using the tragedy for personal gain. If he wanted to de-commit, he could do so anytime. The tragedy didn't give him an extra chance. It's always a possibility.

He used a tragic event as an excuse to back out of a commitment. Pretty low.

Let's face it, these situations where a guy breaks a commitment, whether it's a verbal one or even an LOI, always cause bitterness among fans of schools. We tend to take this stuff way too seriously, and when we get a good recruit like GG we get excited about his potential and losing him under circumstances like this is never enjoyable. It's happened to Maryland too. You always wonder, or suspect, if the other team's coach was whispering in his ear (illegally) after he committed to get him to change his mind. When that is compounded by the player bringing up a tragic event, when feelings are still raw, and using it as an excuse, those emotions are only going to be stronger. I mean, does ANYONE really believe this kid is going to feel safer in College Park than in Blacksburg? Could someone even say that with a straight face?

He used a tragic event as an excuse to back out of a commitment. Pretty low.

Let's face it, these situations where a guy breaks a commitment, whether it's a verbal one or even an LOI, always cause bitterness among fans of schools. We tend to take this stuff way too seriously, and when we get a good recruit like GG we get excited about his potential and losing him under circumstances like this is never enjoyable. It's happened to Maryland too. You always wonder, or suspect, if the other team's coach was whispering in his ear (illegally) after he committed to get him to change his mind. When that is compounded by the player bringing up a tragic event, when feelings are still raw, and using it as an excuse, those emotions are only going to be stronger. I mean, does ANYONE really believe this kid is going to feel safer in College Park than in Blacksburg? Could someone even say that with a straight face?

If Gilchrist didn't want to be a Hokie, fine. I'd be upset that he bailed on his LOI but I'd understand. What I will never be able to understand or respect is the fact that Gilchrist couldn't man up and say that he didn't want to go to VT but, rather, he chose to hide behind the 4/16 tragedy. This is inexcusable to me. I don't think that UMD did anything shady but I'll never be a Gilchrist fan in any way, shape, or form.

Archived