Prince Fielder or Bust

jonglo

1st The Orioles suck at drafting position players other than their high 1st rounders (Wieters & Markakis). 2nd International scouting has produced nothing. 3rd The Orioles are too cheap to pay a posting fee. You can keep wishing & hoping for these to get better. But unless the Orioles are sold &/or they get rid of AM this stuff his just a dream.

The point is the Orioles can get a trade in place & throw a pile of money at Fielder. The market competition would be as heavy for Fielder. I dont think he will cost as much in players. Simply you won't be gutting our young pitching.

A Deal like Tillman/Guthrie , Pie,Pelzer, & Towsend/Bell/Snyder is probably pretty close.

If the Orioles are going to turn into a produce your own star system they will have to finish in the bottom 3-4 in MLB another 7-10 seasons.

And stop giving up your #2 pick for middling relief pitchers.

Why can't we save the players and wait a year to throw the money around?

If Melvin approved that trade, he wouldn't be allowed to walk the streets of Milwaukee for the rest of his natural life.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scott Boras says Prince Fielder is "open" to extension talks with Brewers but acknowledged what A. Gonzo and Werth money did to market.

Here

Maybe Andy should pick that phone up again and see if an extension window is possible now and whether a package headlined by Britton can get it done without Matusz or Wieters...

This lil' announcement says Brewers we will talk extension - but you can't afford it.

Why can't we save the players and wait a year to throw the money around?

If Melvin approved that trade, he wouldn't be allowed to walk the streets of Milwaukee for the rest of his natural life.

How long have you've been around the hangout.....The excuse were not ready to do that yet has been going on for years. Also the Orioles won't involve themselves in a bidding war in a deal that will probably net more than $180 Million. There best chance is now by far.

If Melvin can get 4-5 players from a team that will be ready sooner & likely better than the 2 draft picks they will get when they lose him in free agency its a win for them.

There fans suffer through their players leaving for the money all the time. They may not like the reality...But they know its coming...1 more season of Fielder means they lose him for the picks alone.

How long have you've been around the hangout.....The excuse were not ready to do that yet has been going on for years. Also the Orioles won't involve themselves in a bidding war in a deal that will probably net more than $180 Million. There best chance is now by far.

If Melvin can get 4-5 players from a team that will be ready sooner & likely better than the 2 draft picks they will get when they lose him in free agency its a win for them.

There fans suffer through their players leaving for the money all the time. They may not like the reality...But they know its coming...1 more season of Fielder means they lose him for the picks alone.

I empathize, but Fielder isn't the player for whom you go balls-out (talking about baseballs, obviously). The guy's wider than he is tall...he absolutely screams "horrid investment." Condition his salary on...conditioning...and I might change my tune, but until then...

I empathize, but Fielder isn't the player for whom you go balls-out (talking about baseballs, obviously). The guy's wider than he is tall...he absolutely screams "horrid investment." Condition his salary on...conditioning...and I might change my tune, but until then...

I agree 5'11" 270 whew boy that's big for a baseball player. Hell that's big for a beer guzzling softball player. This is one guy I would be very careful with in regards to a long term deal.

The market for 1B won't be nearly as competitive next year as it is now. Fielder could very well get less as a FA than he could with an extension. If we were to trade for him and not extend, he would cost 15-18M in arbitration. Wait for his FA.

I look at trading for Justin Morneau to start.

Then the options after him really start declining.

Butler could be available depending on how Hosmer performs.

Swisher will only have one more year under contract as well.

And then you have to look outside the box after that like signing ARam and moving him or Reynolds to 1B.

Have fun looking at trading for Justin Morneau. I'm sure that will be productive.

Have fun looking at trading for Justin Morneau. I'm sure that will be productive.

I'm sure that the concussion he dealt with last year has lowered his value a bit, and the Twins are always looking to save money by....blah blah blah, the idea of trading for Morneau is so stupid it defies parody.

The market for 1B won't be nearly as competitive next year as it is now. Fielder could very well get less as a FA than he could with an extension. If we were to trade for him and not extend, he would cost 15-18M in arbitration. Wait for his FA.

We simply would not make the trade if there were no extension. As we shouldn't.

However, we simply will not land Fielder in an open market. Don't understand why people think that is realistic.

We simply would not make the trade if there were no extension. As we shouldn't.

However, we simply will not land Fielder in an open market. Don't understand why people think that is realistic.

I am not so sure of that all would depend on 2011 record. If the O's win say 85+. I think some free agents might start to look at them differently. But I am against Fielder long term.

I am not so sure of that all would depend on 2011 record. If the O's win say 85+. I think some free agents might start to look at them differently. But I am against Fielder long term.

I think there is a much greater chance of us trading some young pitching and signing him to an extension now then winning 85+ games next year and hoping he changes his mind.

I would love to have him. I don't think its necessarily Fielder "or bust" as we will have other options down the road, but I do think if we want him, we have a much better chance landing him now than waiting and hoping next year.

I would take that chance short term to get him for a minium of two years. Then let's see where we are at what kind of numbers he is putting up. In the meantime we solve our cleanup problems for two years:)

I'm not trying to be cool, I'm just trying to tell you that trading two highly-thought of arms that we control for 6+ years for a guy that won't extend with us (and even if he did, a guy that we would have to give an outlandish contract to), isn't a real good way to make us competitive.

But yes, "Prince Fielder or Bust"

This kind of thinking is getting us nowhere fast.If we had a time machine we could go back and look at all our UNTOUCHABLE peices.

You remember when Ponson was untouchable?How about Cabrera?How would you like to go back in time and trade them for a very useful roll of toliet paper?

Change the year and we have had more untouchable prospects than spots on the roster.

Could Britton be great...he could be.Is Feilder great...YES.This is a no brainer trade

On top of that pitcher for slugger trade you do 8 days a week.

This kind of thinking is getting us nowhere fast.If we had a time machine we could go back and look at all our UNTOUCHABLE peices.

You remember when Ponson was untouchable?How about Cabrera?How would you like to go back in time and trade them for a very useful roll of toliet paper?

Change the year and we have had more untouchable prospects than spots on the roster.

Could Britton be great...he could be.Is Feilder great...YES.This is a no brainer trade

On top of that pitcher for slugger trade you do 8 days a week.

Trading Britton in a Fielder deal would be pretty bad IMO even with an extension, but I guess you could defend it.

Trading Britton for one year of Prince Fielder when most likely we won't even compete would be downright insanity.

I'm not necessarily against trading some of our young pitching to upgrade at other areas, but if you are doing it you have to do it for a guy who is going to be here for more than one season.

Archived