Buck Strangely Silent About Markakis?

Orioles West

As a Maryland native in Colorado, I rely quite a bit on the OH here to fill in the blanks for me. I have not read any national media or even the online version of the Sun with any kind of reaction from Buck regarding the departure of Nick Markakis.

Maybe I have missed something from local TV or radio back home?

Last I saw, Buck was happy that a deal was close in early November, but nothing since then. Clearly, a team player, Buck may not openly disagree with the Warehouse on the decision, but it does seem strange that one of the best ambassadors for the organization hasn't said a thing. Not even the standard "we'll find somebody, or we like the guys we got" response.

Am I missing something or maybe Buck's silence is saying something and he isn't happy trying to figure out the right field spot?

Thanks in advance if anyone has heard anything,

-Don

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think the opportunity hasn't come up yet. The organization doesn't want to speak with more than one voice on this in the first instance, and this is Dan's territory. However, no doubt Buck will be at the winter meetings and will be asked about this, and we'll hear what he has to say. I'm sure he will say complimentary things about Nick but say his job is to worry about the players he has.

By the way, Nick hasn't been quoted at all so far as I know, has he? Even in the Atlanta press.

I just think the opportunity hasn't come up yet. The organization doesn't want to speak with more than one voice on this in the first instance, and this is Dan's territory. However, no doubt Buck will be at the winter meetings and will be asked about this, and we'll hear what he has to say. I'm sure he will say complimentary things about Nick but say his job is to worry about the players he has.

By the way, Nick hasn't been quoted at all so far as I know, has he? Even in the Atlanta press.

I would not read anything into Nicks not talking about it. He is an introvert, and as I am one too, it would have suprized me if he had given the media any ammunition. Buck plays the hand that is dealt.

I would not read anything into Nicks not talking about it. He is an introvert, and as I am one too, it would have suprized me if he had given the media any ammunition. Buck plays the hand that is dealt.

I would suspect that there is a gag order on Markakis until he actually passes the physical and officially signs the contract. That's standard operating procedure.

Did he have his media event yet? Nick I mean.

Good cop - bad cop - that is all. They both are on same page - he loves Nickie as a man as we all do.

I agree with the old man...Buck loves Nick like a son, but he'll manage the players in Orioles uniforms and let Dan do his job, like he always does.

Archived