Soriano off the market.

weams

This is the Yankees, so the salary they are paying to Soriano is secondary. This gives them a shutdown guy for the 8th and insurance if Rivera finally hits the wall. So, I have no problem with what they are paying him. Giving up the draft pick is more debtatable.

Agreed, but losing the pick probably affects them less than a typical team considering:

1. They haven't gone out of their way to flex their muscle in the Rule 4; and

2. They own the international market and this year is as stacked as it's been in a while.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the Yankees, so the salary they are paying to Soriano is secondary. This gives them a shutdown guy for the 8th and insurance if Rivera finally hits the wall. So, I have no problem with what they are paying him. Giving up the draft pick is more debtatable.

Agreed. I'm a big believer in how valuable a very good pen is, so I think this helps them a lot and the money isn't that important to them.

However, the pick is an issue. For those saying the Yanks will just spend a lot in the international market and later in the draft, well sure, but they could have easily done that and kept their pick. So the lost pick is not irrelevant at all imo.

Overall, it's a fine move for them imo.

Now, Cashman is saying that he was against the deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6037544

"I didn't recommend [the deal,]" Cashman said after the team officially introduced Soriano as their eighth-inning man in front of closer Mariano Rivera.

Cashman said his feelings have nothing to do with Soriano. The 31-year-old is a fine reliever, Cashman said, but as he tries to pare down the Yankees $200 million payroll he would have preferred a more patient approach. The executives above Cashman disagreed.

The Yankees hierarchy -- owners Hal and Hank Steinbrenner, along with team president Randy Levine -- wanted to improve the team this offseason.

As far as Soriano's contract, Levine did the majority of the negotiating with Boras.

Pretty ballsy and classless of Cashman to say that when introducing him and having him standing right there, IMO.

He didn't. The story reads:

Cashman's statements were made after the formal introduction and not on the dais directly in front of Soriano.

He didn't. The story reads:

Cashman's statements were made after the formal introduction and not on the dais directly in front of Soriano.

My bad, I thought I heard that the comments were made in front of him. Still, he didn't wait long until after the introduction to come out against it. Not really sure why he felt like he had to do that.

My bad, I thought I heard that the comments were made in front of him. Still, he didn't wait long until after the introduction to come out against it. Not really sure why he felt like he had to do that.

Agreed, though clearly he's trying to trim payroll (whatever that could possibly mean for that franchise), and didn't feel that the best move financially.

Archived