Avery Turning heads in camp

Tony-OH

Good to hear about Avery. Showing that our system has been talent than folks think starts with the Xman. He made major strides last year. Hopefully, he will stay on the same upward curve.

Same regarding Bridwell. I think we stole a good one there - a guy with that kind of talent and projectability has no business being available at that point in the draft. It would be nice to see PB at DelMarva to start the season.

Good to hear about Avery. Showing that our system has been talent than folks think starts with the Xman. He made major strides last year. Hopefully, he will stay on the same upward curve.

Same regarding Bridwell. I think we stole a good one there - a guy with that kind of talent and projectability has no business being available at that point in the draft. It would be nice to see PB at DelMarva to start the season.

These are the kinds of players who could change the perception of the strength of our farm system by having a big year in 2011.

These are the kinds of players who could change the perception of the strength of our farm system by having a big year in 2011.

Wait wait, I thought these were the same guys everyone just had in their system though. Are you telling me that these guys aren't present in everyone's system?

Trying to channel my inner SG here.

Wait wait, I thought these were the same guys everyone just had in their system though. Are you telling me that these guys aren't present in everyone's system?

Trying to channel my inner SG here.

Well, you can believe that...if you are a blind homer.

I do think Bridwell is a very good talent though...but still, he is a long ways away.

Well, you can believe that...if you are a blind homer.

I do think Bridwell is a very good talent though...but still, he is a long ways away.

Yes. The point I am making is that the perception of the talent that exists in a farm system can change when a few high-upside guys suddenly explode on the scene. That's true for most farm systems out there, not just ours. And, there are a lot of high-upside guys who never develop.

Yes. The point I am making is that the perception of the talent that exists in a farm system can change when a few high-upside guys suddenly explode on the scene. That's true for most farm systems out there, not just ours. And, there are a lot of high-upside guys who never develop.

Of course that's the case.

But if you are talking about just pure talent, likelihood to reach ceilings, etc....the Orioles are woefully behind.

Not to mention, even if some of these guys do well in Delmarva and Frederick this year, they have to prove it again the follow year in the upper minors.

While we were down at camp, I caught up with Scotty Mac and we saw Jose Nivar throw his first inning of the spring last friday. He is a converted outfielder and while he is raw, he has a fantastic arm and great size. Scott said everyone was excited to see him throw and that seems to be the case as everyone went over to the single A field to see him throw. He is someone to keep an eye on at least.

We are talking about a 21 year old pitching in GCL ball... someone who hasn't thrown more than 5 innings in his pro career. How special could he possibly be?

We are talking about a 21 year old pitching in GCL ball... someone who hasn't thrown more than 5 innings in his pro career. How special could he possibly be?

He was the buzz of camp last Friday with the pitchers is all. Nothing special at the moment, but at least something to keep an eye on. But by all means, if it isn't worth mentioning, then please tell me what I should report?

Where was the Royals farm system rated last year, prior to some of their pitchers taking the proverbial next step?

They were mostly in the 6-12 range. That partly reflected disappointing 2009 seasons by Hosmer and Moustakas. The Royals' ranking this year is due greatly to the turnarounds from those two, and the emergence of Wil Myers--though the pitching is a big part of it.

Where was the Royals farm system rated last year, prior to some of their pitchers taking the proverbial next step?

The guys who "take the next step" are not conjured out of thin air.

We do not have the horses (of the Hosmer, Moustakas ilk) in the system today - except for possibly Hobgood. I think most of us hoping for the team to move up the talent rankings (or who believe we should be higher than we are currently) believe we should be ranked closer to 13-15 than the low-20s.

Our system has talent - some of it underperforming (Ohlman, Hobgood), some of it raw (Avery, Hoes) and some of it has been injured (Coffey, Randle). It would be nice to see a huge step forward in 2011, but that's been an annual and futile dream for a long time.

"He looked at me all serious and said, 'BG, you want to know why I love baseball?' I said, 'Why X?' And he said, 'It's so damn hard to be good at it,'" said Graham, the Orioles' coordinator of minor league instruction. "He has things in perspective. He knows it's a tough game and he wants to be good. I guess I found out later that he stole that line from a movie, but that didn't matter to me because I know he believes it."

Who can pull the movie?

Note: I don't think the quote is very accurate, because Google didn't find it right away.

Archived