Showalter gives Fox an earful

ChaosLex

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't sound like he disobeyed anyone. And if he did I already covered that.

Then explain Showalter's reaction. If Fox feels like he's still trying to make the club, shouldn't he be aware of how his skipper wants the guys to play the game?

What do you mean you covered it? You are in charge of implementing these unwritten rules?

Then explain Showalter's reaction. If Fox feels like he's still trying to make the club, shouldn't he be aware of how his skipper wants the guys to play the game?

What do you mean you covered it? You are in charge of implementing these unwritten rules?

He's a super control freak.

Was he given a direct sign from Showalter, or was he just disobeying the unwritten rules?

I thought it wasn't confirmed if he was given the take sign.

Sorry, my use of the word 'disobeying' was a little misleading. I didn't mean to imply that I was aware of a direct order from Buck. But regardless, the take sign is on with a 3-0 count unless the player is given the swing away sign. It doesn't matter if it's a simulated game, or a ST game, or a WS game.

So spring training games, which can be manipulated in various ways to allow for additional PRACTICE and can even end in a tie, should be treated exactly the same as a regular-season game?

Like I said, "unwritten rules" (though the validity of such a concept is a whole different discussion) go into effect Friday. That's when the games mean something.

Things like this I don't understand...I usually understand and agree with the old school mentality, but I don't understand getting that pissed off at something like this.

Hitters hit. That's what they're bred to do. It's gotta be incredibly frustrating to let a straight fastball go down the middle of the plate for a strike when you KNOW you can square up on it and hit it hard, regardless of the score.

Who cares what the score is? If I'm managing a game or hitting I'm trying to score as many runs as possible to beat the other team down as much as I can. I don't care if I'm up 5 in the 7th inning and I just had Brian Roberts steal 2nd base. Like a 5 run deficient hasn't been overcome before in the late innings?

I don't care if I'm up 10 in the 8th and swinging for the fences on 3-0 counts. Your pitcher was dumb enough to put it in my wheelhouse. Furthermore I'm trying to get another member of your bullpen out on the mound and hopefully wear him out so he's not 100% tomorrow. #&$% you.

So spring training games, which can be manipulated in various ways to allow for additional PRACTICE and can even end in a tie, should be treated exactly the same as a regular-season game?

Like I said, "unwritten rules" (though the validity of such a concept is a whole different discussion) go into effect Friday. That's when the games mean something.

Well, obviously Buck and Leyland feel that the unwritten rules are already in effect. I'll defer to their judgment unless you have more ML managerial experience than they do.

Great article from fan sided: What Jake Fox Did to piss off Buck Showalter.

Here's a snippet.

Jake Fox, 27-year-old catcher and guy just trying to impress people, steps to the plate with Orioles holding a it’d-be-more-comfortable-if-we-weren’t-the-Orioles 13-3 lead in the underside of the 8th. In the other dugout, Tigers manager Jim Leyland chews angrily on a piece of wood, as is his custom, and the rookie on the mound for Detroit quickly clogs up the count to 3-0. A guaranteed plate-hugger is on the way, and like every other time this situation has presented itself in a baseball game in history, every body knows it.

But Jake Fox wants to prove he knows it more than anyone and takes a mighty hack at the pitch; and as he leads all of baseball in home runs for spring training (10), the move is a legitimate threat to invite this young hurler to the earned run party that every other Tigers pitcher was attending that day.

Almost simultaneously, Showalter and Leyland have rage-strokes. Buck rips his hat off and screams at no one in particular. Leyland throws himself up the dugout steps and shouts something toward the mound. Whatever Fox did, he’s pissed both of off the highest tenured men on the field.

Archived