Twelve (you read it right!) years for A-Rod?!?!

ElToro75

I just heard on Sportscenter, that A-Rod/Boras are talking a 12 year contract. :eek:

That is just insane!!! Unless they are talking about several option years, which I seriously doubt, do they honestly think that any team would commit $300+ Million and an even dozen years?

Wow!

Didn't Boras publicly say it would take $12M to sign Wieters right up to the minute he signed for half that?

Well.... we know Weiters' signing bonus was half that, is that what you're referring to? Because we don't know what Weiters total deal is worth, do we?

Well.... we know Weiters' signing bonus was half that, is that what you're referring to? Because we don't know what Weiters total deal is worth, do we?

It was a standard minor league contract w/a 6m signing bonus. He'll make somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000 - $2,100 a month depending on what level he starts at just like every other minor leaguer in their first year and not that much more in future years until he makes it to the major leagues.

Nobody could possibly be stupid enough to guarantee to pay for what any human being is going to be doing 12 years from now.

You're telling me it would be a poor choice to sign Gary Coleman to say "what you talkin' about Willis?" for the next 12 years? I think he's a solid lock to have 10,000, maybe 12,000 of those left in him.

I just heard on Sportscenter, that A-Rod/Boras are talking a 12 year contract. :eek:

That is just insane!!! Unless they are talking about several option years, which I seriously doubt, do they honestly think that any team would commit $300+ Million and an even dozen years?

Wow!

Rather give 300 mil over 12 years than 300 mil over 10. Sounds like a clever way to get more money by discounting value over time. Obviously he's not going to be playing at 44/45.

Obviously he's not going to be playing at 44/45.

Obviously? I'd say it's pretty likely he won't, but there's a few factors that determine how long someone plays. The most important is how good is he? The higher the peak, the more likely he'll still be productive at an advanced age. ARod is about as good as anyone alive, so he has that one covered.

Of course he'll have to want to play, and his body will have to be healthy enough.

I think he's as likely as anyone playing ball today to be still active into his mid-40s.

Rather give 300 mil over 12 years than 300 mil over 10. Sounds like a clever way to get more money by discounting value over time. Obviously he's not going to be playing at 44/45.

Honestly, thats not really a factor, as most contracts nowadays have deferred money. Guys sign for 5 years at 7 per, but if you dig into the contract, they may actually get 5 per year for 5 years, but another 2 per year for 5 years after the contract ends. Just cashflow management for the team. NFL contracts are this way too, but FYI, the deferred money is usually also guaranteed on both accounts.

Archived