weams

7:10 PM ET

BAL

(1-0)

TB

(0-1)

BAL: Tillman (0-0, -.--) TB: Shields (0-0, -.--)

http://presspass.mlb.com/DBDocs/77/106/1400_2165.pdf

OPENING DAY: The Orioles opened their 58th season last night with a 4-1 win, improving their all-time

Opening Day record to 36-22…The Birds improved to 9-9 when playing their Opening Day game on the road and

snapped a three-game road losing streak in Opening Day road games (2010 at Tampa Bay, 2007 at Minnesota and

1995 at Kansas City)…The Orioles have opened the season at home in 26 of the last 31 years, including 11

straight seasons from 1996-2006.

STRONG START: RH Jeremy Guthrie worked eight scoreless innings in Friday’s opener…The last time an

Orioles starter worked as many as eight scoreless innings to open a season was April 6, 1992, when Rick Sutcliffe

shut out the Cleveland Indians to open Camden Yards…According to Elias, Guthrie became the third Orioles

Opening Day starter to allow three or fewer hits in eight or more scoreless innings of a season opener since the

team moved to Baltimore in 1954, joining Dave McNally (1973 vs. Milwaukee) and Jim Palmer (1975 at

Detroit)…McNally and Palmer both threw three-hit shutouts…Guthrie’s fourth inning strikeout of Manny

Ramirez was the 500th of his career.

VS. TAMPA BAY: The Orioles lead the season series 1-0 and have won five of their last six games against the

Rays including three of the last four contests at Tropicana Field…The Rays won the season series 11-7 in 2010 as

the O’s were 3-6 at home and 4-5 at The Trop…The Orioles lead the all-time series 112-111 (60-50 in Baltimore

and 52-61 in St. Petersburg).

JeffZ chimes in

I'd say that it was a little telling when after Ben Zobrist hit a homer off Jim Johnson to lead off the ninth inning and make it a three-run game, it was Kevin Gregg that started getting warm and not Koji Uehara. Orioles manager Buck Showalter has declined to reveal his regular closer, but the consensus in the clubhouse all along was that Gregg would be the guy. Perhaps last night was more proof of that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Courtesy of Roch:

For the Orioles:

Brian Roberts 2B

Nick Markakis RF

Derrek Lee 1B

Vladimir Guerrero DH

Luke Scott LF

Adam Jones CF

Mark Reynolds 3B

Matt Wieters C

J.J. Hardy SS

Chris Tillman RHP

For the Rays:

Zobrist 2B

Damon LF

Longoria 3B

Ramirez DH

Johnson 1B

Upton CF

Joyce RF

Shoppach C

Brignac SS

Shields RHP

Do you all think they may pull some of the regular starters tomorrow and let them rest for the home opener?

I think Buck mentioned that he won't be resting any of the regulars in the Rays series (I believe it was mentioned in a Roch Kubatko blog).

I think Buck mentioned that he won't be resting any of the regulars in the Rays series (I believe it was mentioned in a Roch Kubatko blog).

I saw that. Still can't believe Wieters plays a day game after a night game, then flies to Balmer and plays Monday afternoon. And you KNOW he's playing Monday.

I saw that. Still can't believe Wieters plays a day game after a night game, then flies to Balmer and plays Monday afternoon. And you KNOW he's playing Monday.
Buck had stated that he would not need a backup catcher until the 10th. Not sure if he was joking.

I would like to see Chris repeat this tonight.

Jul 10 @ TEX W 6-1 7.1 2 1 0 0 1 3 12 9 109

Archived