The cupboard really does seem bare these days

Frobby

We all saw this day coming.

Mediocre-to-poor drafts combined with a lack of interest in the international market combined with a disregard for keeping draft picks combined with the normal attrition rate leaves you with a pretty thin system. We are left hoping that the risks Jordan took over the past few years pay off. Yeah, that'll work in the AL East.

It is surprising, though, to see how most of the interest now lies in the performance of the middle infielders where a couple of years ago that area seemed to be a vast wasteland. Now, at least, there seems to be a little somethin' even beyond Machado and Hoes. Perhaps the pitching will turn back around as quickly. I hope.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, Machado and Reimold are about the only guys in the system anymore who bring a true level of excitment of "I can't wait to see what these guys can do in the Majors when they're there".

We BADLY need a high level pitcher in this year's draft. No more drafting on the cheap (Hobgood).

Frankly, Machado and Reimold are about the only guys in the system anymore who bring a true level of excitment of "I can't wait to see what these guys can do in the Majors when they're there".

We BADLY need a high level pitcher in this year's draft. No more drafting on the cheap (Hobgood).

Machado is obviously the jewel but Schoop might end up the number two nugget by the end of the year. I love seeing the plate discipline at a young age.

It too early to say. Bell, Adams, Snyder, Reimold and may even Mahoney later in the year.

Bell, Snyder and Reimold are not new. In fact, of the three, only Snyder has rookie status. That's not to say they couldn't come up and contribute, I'm just saying that what NewMarketSean was referring to was fans looking forward to seeing a promising new guy getting his first major league exposure. As to Mahoney and Adams, I seriously doubt we see either one until September at the very earliest.

Machado is obviously the jewel but Schoop might end up the number two nugget by the end of the year. I love seeing the plate discipline at a young age.

Certainly can't be upset with a 1.000 OPS right now out of Schoop.

For those at the games, how does Machado look in the field? Is he going to move to 3rd (making way for Schoop at SS down the line)? Is Schoop going to move?

And when does Kipp Schutz get his promotion? ;)

Bell, Snyder and Reimold are not new. In fact, of the three, only Snyder has rookie status. That's not to say they couldn't come up and contribute, I'm just saying that what NewMarketSean was referring to was fans looking forward to seeing a promising new guy getting his first major league exposure. As to Mahoney and Adams, I seriously doubt we see either one until September at the very earliest.

Snyder has 20 at bats in the majors. That is pretty darn new. Mahoney has never been in the majors. If Lee or Vlad get traded we could see either one of them.

Snyder has 20 at bats in the majors. That is pretty darn new. Mahoney has never been in the majors. If Lee or Vlad get traded we could see either one of them.

That is way down the road. But let's just say there wouldn't be the kind of excitement about a Snyder, Mahoney or Adams call-up the way there was with several of the guys called up in 2009 (Wieters, Matusz, Tillman), 2010 (Arrieta) or with Britton this year. They just aren't looked upon the same way. None of them has gotten any national attention, and none of them seem likely to be impact players in the majors (though of course we will hope that turns out to be wrong).

For those at the games, how does Machado look in the field? Is he going to move to 3rd (making way for Schoop at SS down the line)? Is Schoop going to move?

I haven't gotten any eyes on reports yet of Machado and Schoop in the field buy Machado has made only one error in ten games which is pretty darn impressive. I heard Schoop has looked good as a second baseman and would like to see him get some time there as short occasionally.

Shutz needs to keep up the hot hitting but I could see a mid-season promotion if he can keep it up.

That is way down the road. But let's just say there wouldn't be the kind of excitement about a Snyder, Mahoney or Adams call-up the way there was with several of the guys called up in 2009 (Wieters, Matusz, Tillman), 2010 (Arrieta) or with Britton this year. They just aren't looked upon the same way. None of them has gotten any national attention, and none of them seem likely to be impact players in the majors (though of course we will hope that turns out to be wrong).

Bell turned out to be a pretty big disappointment who at the time I thought was a good infusion of the right age grouping and talent level for our system. But geez his K/BB right now in the minors is way way out of whack. What happened to the 98/61 guy in 2009. It's interesting, Bell didn't really start striking out so much until he got to Bowie. I wonder if this was a bad trend surfacing or it's a larger condition of our MiLB coaching.

He's a guy who if could get it turned around and we saw Reimold/Britton/Bell make some MLB impact by the end of this year might help us get through the year without looking so bad. But we're not seeing those trends yet.

Delmarva's infield, especially Machado and Schoop, looked solid at the game I went to last Friday. Machado is a fantastic shortstop IMO.

I haven't seen him at Delmarva, but I'd expect reports to be glowing. He has soft hands and a strong arm. His issues are going to come down the line if/when he gets bigger and if/when the range diminishes.

It's interesting, Bell didn't really start striking out so much until he got to Bowie. I wonder if this was a bad trend surfacing or it's a larger condition of our MiLB coaching.

Yeah, you have to wonder. We seemingly have either a scouting issue, a coaching issue or both. I keep expecting someone to pleasantly surprise, but it doesn't really happen at the highest levels.

Archived