Second round pick

If its possible to get a an impact college arm who could move fast through the system in the 2nd round, does increase the likelihood of taking a shot at Starling in the 1st?

Tony or someone who speaks with the BAL braintrust would be better to answer this. As I do work for another organization, I don't think anyone in the Orioles FO is going to drop any hints to me. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be quite pleased with a Dickerson or Skole in the second round of any draft, though there might be some more enticing arms available at the selection this year.

After watching Skole this weekend, no way I tag him in the top of the 2nd Round. 3B is a possibility, but odds may be long. Looks much more like a doubles bat than a thumper. Good approach, squares, but too much talent in this draft to spend one of BAL's few early picks on an AVG 1B type, in my opinion.

I would really like to see a college position player in the first 2 rounds if it makes sense.

Rendon just needs to fall to us!

Maybe it's not inconceivable?

It's late enough in the season to believe that any poor performances from here on out could hurt a prospect's draft stock. With that said, it wasn't a good weekend for Texas right-hander Taylor Jungmann, Rice's Anthony Rendon or Oregon's Tyler Anderson.

Rendon finished the weekend 1-for-13 with two walks, dropping to .333/.535/.532 for the season, a solid yet unremarkable line for the player that started the campaign as the No. 1 overall talent. I wrote in March that if Rendon's injury concerns didn't subside and his performance pick up that it's not out of the question that the pre-season player of the year in college baseball could slip down to the Chicago Cubs at No. 9.

Scouts are not seeing much evidence that the shoulder or ankles are bothering him at the plate or on the bases. But at some point clubs may start to believe in what they are seeing now more than what they saw a year ago.

A couple of notes:

I think Churchill meant to say "It's too late into the season to believe..." or else I am not sure how much sense his initial premise makes.

If that's his initial premise, I'm not sure how much I agree with the "at some point clubs may start to believe in what they are seeing now more than what they saw a year ago" line. If medical reports check out, I feel very comfortable selecting him at 1:4 should he fall. We've got three years of proof of the kind of player Rendon is. There's no need to sour now, as long as he's healthy going forward.

That said, I still don't believe he falls, but it's possible.

After watching Skole this weekend, no way I tag him in the top of the 2nd Round. 3B is a possibility, but odds may be long. Looks much more like a doubles bat than a thumper. Good approach, squares, but too much talent in this draft to spend one of BAL's few early picks on an AVG 1B type, in my opinion.

Noted, thanks. Never got a good read on his defense. Liked him as a .280/.350/.450 3B, but there should arms with higher ceilings than a 1B with that line in the top of the second.

If Rendon falls, is there any way this team passes on him?

There's certainly a chance. If he drops out of the top 3 it's probably due to injury concerns, but from what I've heard there's nothing to worry about long term.

If his medicals check out, there's no way I would pass on him. People described Machado as a 5-tool talent, but the label is much more applicable to Rendon. The thing that really separates Rendon from a lot of college bats in top 5 consideration is that every aspect of his game is excellent. He's a plus defender with a plus arm, above average speed, and excellent feel for the game. His hit tool is fringe plus/plus. I think freaking out this close to the draft because he hasn't hit for monster power in his junior year is foolish.

Rendon is the kind of player who could be in the big leagues in < 2 years and is a safe bet to provide value with the glove and hit alone, and should grow into a .300 hitter with 25 HR pop. The top college arms are all nice, but I take Rendon easily over anyone not named Cole.

Rendon is the kind of player who could be in the big leagues in < 2 years and is a safe bet to provide value with the glove and hit alone, and should grow into a .300 hitter with 25 HR pop. The top college arms are all nice, but I take Rendon easily over anyone not named Cole.

I know people don't love comps, but he sounds similar to Zimmerman to me. Agree?

I know people don't love comps, but he sounds similar to Zimmerman to me. Agree?

Offensive profile, frame, footspeed much closer to David Wright. Zimm is a big dude. Has Zimm-quality glove, though.

Offensive profile, frame, footspeed much closer to David Wright. Zimm is a big dude. Has Zimm-quality glove, though.

So he could be the best 3B in baseball? Wright + Zimm's glove sounds insanely good. :scratchchinhmm:

So he could be the best 3B in baseball? Wright + Zimm's glove sounds insanely good. :scratchchinhmm:

Yup, he could. It will depend on how his bat ultimately plays against ML pitching, of course. But I believe in the glove.

Stotle, just curious (and I'm really speaking from no knowledge on the subject at all), do you think it's possible that the "silly number of college arms" can be attributed in any way to the new college bats taking away from the offense?

No. It's less about stats and much more about pure stuff and body. The strength of the college arms was on display going into the summer, and evaluators were discussing it before we knew how the new bats would play.

What has made the class really interesting is the emergence of so many HS arms, as well. I've already started looking ahead to my final preference list and it might not be an exageration to say that 65 or 75 of the top 100 talents in the draft this year could be arms.

• 2 weeks later...

If the O's take a pitcher at 1-4 like Cole, Hultzen, Bundy, Jungmann or A. Bradley, what do you think about Georgia OF Zach Cone in the second round? He would be a bit of a reach, but the Georgia coaching situation is not the best I am told and that program is in a bit of a spin. Great athlete who just needs to play and work on his game. I've been told he has pressed quite a bit...draftitis. He was also shaken up quite a bit about the Taylor collision. This was a guy who was touted as a first rounder pre-season.

What say you?

If the O's take a pitcher at 1-4 like Cole, Hultzen, Bundy, Jungmann or A. Bradley, what do you think about Georgia OF Zach Cone in the second round? He would be a bit of a reach, but the Georgia coaching situation is not the best I am told and that program is in a bit of a spin. Great athlete who just needs to play and work on his game. I've been told he has pressed quite a bit...draftitis. He was also shaken up quite a bit about the Taylor collision. This was a guy who was touted as a first rounder pre-season.

What say you?

I like him with the right organization (not saying Baltimore isn't). He needs an overhaull in his swing mechanics, because the physical ability and barrel awareness is too good for him to struggle as much as he does. Could be an interesting power/defense center fielder -- I think there is a chance he gets gobbled up in the sandwich round by a team with some extra picks.

Archived