Recent National Comments

I was not watching the game where he was hurt so the following is speculation.

He had a huge amount of media attention and, obviously, all of his starts were televised. If he had hurt himself 1-2 pitches prior would he not have been reacting in such a way that the analysts watching the game would have noticed?

Only if the camera was on him and they caught him doing something. The analysts watch the game on monitors for the most part, they don't watch a lot of the live action, and if there were a play in the field going on and he was shaking his arm or something they wouldn't have necessarily noticed.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By Adam Wells(Featured Columnist) on June 1, 2011 958 reads

2011 MLB Draft Will See Some Premiere Talents Slide Due To Reported Money Demands

This year's draft has a few guys that have reportedly made big demands that could cause them to slide further than their talent would warrant. Here are the top 3:

Bubba Starling, the stud outfielder from Kansas who has a scholarship to play football and baseball at Nebraska, is the most talented player in this entire draft class. He could be the top player taken. The problem is he has reportedly asked for a bonus of $10 million, which is going to scare a lot of teams off.

Dylan Bundy, a star high school pitcher in Oklahoma, is making big bonus demands. His talent screams that he is a top-5 pick, but his contract demands are going to make cheaper teams go running for the hills.

Blake Swihart, a high school catcher from New Mexico, is the best catching prospect in this draft class - a top-10 to 15 talent - but he hasn't played a lot of catcher this year, according to ESPN's Jason Churchill, and that could cause him to fall out of the first round. He reportedly wants to be paid like top-10 player, and teams that pick later in the draft who might value him but are afraid to pay him are going to shy away from him.

Of these three guys, Swihart is likely to fall the furthest because he hasn't been playing his best position this season so scouts aren't able to properly evaluate him.

I think there is a disconnect here somewhere. While the effort you're giving with the updates is appreciated, you seem to be having an issue with either not understanding how to link -or- just not caring to. It's important to link to the source, for a number of reasons. I hope you can see the point in bringing this up, as your replies to earlier concerns were brushed over, without change. Thanks.

I love the speculation from all of you. I really do. However, this is why each team needs to stack it's own draft board it's own way. The conjecture that Boras as an agent of many prospects is interesting. However, it's quite clear that if he would really cause a team to pass on a player because of who his agent is. Then clearly players need new representation.

I love the speculation from all of you. I really do. However, this is why each team needs to stack it's own draft board it's own way. The conjecture that Boras as an agent of many prospects is interesting. However, it's quite clear that if he would really cause a team to pass on a player because of who his agent is. Then clearly players need new representation.

It has happened MULTIPLE times, and why he has such a reputation. Some teams refuse to deal with him because of his hard nosed approach, some don't like that he almost refuses to sign early enough to allow players to play in their draft season. He's also known to prefer and attempts to make his clients forgo long term extensions, preparing to take each of them to FA.

Highlights of Bauer's outing last night.

http://www.dailynews.com/health/ci_18209558

Pretty impressive.......every five days? He will never be allowed to throw over 110 pitches for the Orioles which should be okay going every 5 days instead of once a week. I think you gamble on him over Bundy if both are available but not over Rendon if he's available.

If I'm Pittsburgh I might have to change my thinking about Cole at #1. They can't seem to be able to decide on Cole or Hultzen however there is a site I was on a few minutes ago that said they are definitely going Cole. How many tall, conditioned pitchers have we seen over the years that flopped or broke down compared to the under 6 foot types? Every team would like to have 5 Jim Palmer types in their rotation but I think there is something going on with Cole. I hope he is not a bit of a head case and is not trying to wow people because he doesn't want to go to Pittsburgh. I doubt many on the top 10 list would want to play there. If he's there at number 4 with Bauer, Bundy and Rendon gone do we take Hultzen or Cole? I like them both and most teams do it appears. Many seem to dislike Hultzens delivery but can't find fault with Cole other than his results. I still think the top 3 will be any of Cole, Hultzen or Bauer and we will have to choose between Rendon, Bundy and Starling. Lindor is still rumored going to Seattle at #2. I think the Orioles first choice is a position player and we will take Rendon if he is available. If we do I don't think anyone will ever complain about the decision.

Archived