There, I said it. I want the O's to draft Bubba Starling, unless either Gerrit Cole or Anthony Rendon drop into our lap. I find it unlikely that the two drop, and since I see Starling as the #3 rated player in the draft, I want the high-upside stud prepster.

There, I said it. I want the O's to draft Bubba Starling, unless either Gerrit Cole or Anthony Rendon drop into our lap. I find it unlikely that the two drop, and since I see Starling as the #3 rated player in the draft, I want the high-upside stud prepster.

I would like to see the Orioles pick up a potential top-shelf bat too. Starling or Rendon. The farm system does not has not have a feared hitter/game changer of any kind. We have some decent pitching up and down the organization but no serious hitters. If one of the afore mentioned guys are on the board I hope the Orioles take one. If not, stay the course and take the best pitching prospect available.

You guys are pretty brave about picking Starling, considering the success the O's have had developing position players.

Unless you think he's so good that even the O's can't screw him up!

I couldn't agree more. The O's need impact bats badly! Starling and Machado would be represent potential superstars in the middle of the order and up the middle defense to boot.

Although the bat and potential of Starling are both nice, his signability is a major question mark. In nearly every article about him, namely the one that recently appeared on espn.com, he seems to be struggling with the decision between pro ball and becoming the starting quarterback at Nebraska. Even though guys like Joe Mauer opted for baseball, there is a considerable pull for a lot of kids, especially from the midwest, towards big time college football. The bonus that we would have to offer up for Starling would likely be upwards of 7 million, blowing out the bonus that Donovan Tate got. There are so many good college pitchers in this draft that to take such a risk on a guy like Starling who, regardless of ability, will be incredibly difficult to sign, would be ill advised.

Archived