4th Round - Kyle Simon - RHP - University of Arizona

I have basically zero interest in drafting pitchers who have questionable odds of starting, unless it's someone like Matt Purke where the upside is considerable. A relief career is a failed pick in my mind. I mean, the same arm sees his value cut by like 75% if he can't start.

A 4th round pick has maybe a 35% chance of ever playing a game in the major leagues. If you have any career at all, you are a success.

The Orioles, by the way, only have had 20% of their 4th round picks reach the majors. The most recent, and most successful, was Brad Bergesen (3.4 WAR).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BA 183. Seems to sit 86-89 with peak at 93 - deception in delivery. Hopefully, some things JJ sees to be corrected ... or JJ was asked to get some bp help quickly.

Interesting pick .... probably one of the weaker write-ups in a JJ top 5 pick in a long time, IMO.

Jordan thinks some of those low velocity numbers were because of his workload. He would pitch on Fridays and be brought back to pitch some on Tuesday's. He thinks there's more velocity than 86-89 once he gets on a pro schedule.

A 4th round pick has maybe a 35% chance of ever playing a game in the major leagues. If you have any career at all, you are a success.

The Orioles, by the way, only have had 20% of their 4th round picks reach the majors. The most recent, and most successful, was Brad Bergesen (3.4 WAR).

I get that perspective, but you can't just look at hit rate. A workhorse starter on draft day who's moved to the bullpen a few years down the line and has a solid career as a reliever is very different than a college reliever who's drafted as a reliever, clearly doesn't have the tools or endurance to start, and has the same career. I would be happy with the first pick and not the second.

Jordan thinks some of those low velocity numbers were because of his workload. He would pitch on Fridays and be brought back to pitch some on Tuesday's. He thinks there's more velocity than 86-89 once he gets on a pro schedule.

This is one place where scouting directors earn their money. If he's an 86-89 guy who relies on pitchability, his upside is questionable at best. If he's a 89-92 guy who has pitchability, he's a different prospect. Will be an interesting guy to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• O'Hearn in right.  It's the Buck All Stars.
    • Last year Peacock had a Sunday morning package from May through Early September, with all the games at 11:30 AM or noon ET.   And they were exclusive to Peacock paying customers and  blacked out on MLB app no matter where you were, like the Friday Apple games. This year Roku is taking over that package.   Some differences: Roku is free.  (Though you do have to use an app on your TV or smart device to watch it). The games will NOT be blacked out on MLB TV. A few of the games will not be so early. One similarity is that I believe the games won't be on MASN, only Roku with their own announcers.   If you have MLB TV you can watch them; if you don't and normally watch MASN, you'll have to watch via the Roku app. Anyway, the Orioles are in a couple of the games, with the gametimes moving to earlier on those Sundays: May 19, Red Sox @ Cardinals, 1:05pm May 26, Blue Jays @ Tigers, 11:35am June 2, Twins @ Astros, 1:05pm June 9, Giants @ Rangers, 1:05pm June 16, Cardinals @ Cubs, 1:05pm June 23, Diamondbacks @ Phillies, 11:35am June 30, Pirates @ Braves, 11:35am July 7, Diamondbacks @ Padres, 4:10pm July 14, Yankees @ Orioles, 11:35am July 21, Brewers @ Twins, 1:05pm July 28, Reds @ Rays, 11:35am August 4, Giants @ Reds, 12:05pm August 11, Angels @ Nationals, 11:35am August 18, Marlins @ Mets, 12:05pm August 25, Nationals @ Braves, 12:05pm September 1, Dodgers @ Diamondbacks, 4:10pm September 8, Rays @ Orioles, 12:05pm September 15, Reds @ Twins, 1:05pm
    • I’d say Mateo has been playing well compared to expectations for him.  You can say his SLG is “inflated,” but it is what it is.  And his defense has been way better than “fine” of late.  He’s playing a stellar 2B.  He’s our best defensive 2B and it isn’t close.  Going into tonight’s game he’d been worth 0.7 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR in 25 games.  Hard to argue that’s not playing well.  
    • I didn't think this would be a possibility at the beginning of the season, but Elias might very well end up shopping for a veteran outfielder that can hit. Mullins and Hays have struggling at the plate since July 2023. Cowser has fallen off a cliff after his red hot start and hasn't adjusted yet to pitchers throwing him more breaking pitches. While the Orioles have young prospects who have promise. You can't expect them to step up this year to be a major reason this team makes a deep playoff run. Maybe Cowser or Kjerstad answers the call, but I think this team would benefit from an established veteran if Mullins/Hays continue to not hit.
    • Nice job.   6 Orioles.    I had 7 Orioles, but my Oriole-less spots were Cleveland/Angels and Mets/Angels.  (I had used Eddie for NYM/LAD so I couldn't use him for Cle/LAA).   I had Orioles in the lower left (Joe Saunders) and lower right (Gregg Olson). My rarity score went to hell when I used Nolan Ryan for Mets/Angels.  
    • I agree he’s guessing a lot.  He guessed wrong on strike three in the 10th inning and took a pitch right down the middle.  Really poor approach there.   On the season his expected and actual numbers are very close, but in recent weeks his expected numbers have been much better than the actual ones.  It was the opposite when he was hot.   He’s still learning and it’s pretty painful to watch right now.    
  • Popular Contributors