4th Round - Kyle Simon - RHP - University of Arizona

BA 183. Seems to sit 86-89 with peak at 93 - deception in delivery. Hopefully, some things JJ sees to be corrected ... or JJ was asked to get some bp help quickly.

Interesting pick .... probably one of the weaker write-ups in a JJ top 5 pick in a long time, IMO.

Maybe, but Jordan has focused on velocity guys with injury histories and have been burned a lot. Maybe he's now looking for healthy command/sinker guys. When you play 81 games in Camden Yards, that might not be a bad idea. I honestly like what I'm readind if his velocity can sit 88-91 with good sink.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Osich sounds good...If Delmonico or Fischer are still there, either of them would be good as well(not 100% sure if they are there or not but I don't think they have been drafted).

Don't you wonder why others aren't taking them either?

And I bet you can get a similar guy to that in a few rounds...Meanwhile, you could be drafting better talent right now.

As Stotle said about the Wright pick, if you want him as a reliever, wait...if you want him as a starter, draft the safer bet to be a starter.

The logic isn't there...Its all about signability and them not spending enough.

Its just so irritating to see them piss away money like they do on the ML team but not do enough amateur wise. They just don't get it.

I'll wait until I hear what Jordan has to say about these guys before I start thinking signability. Jordan has been known to take the overslot guys in the 6-12th rounds.

Maybe, but Jordan has focused on velocity guys with injury histories and have been burned a lot. Maybe he's now looking for healthy command/sinker guys. When you play 81 games in Camden Yards, that might not be a bad idea. I honestly like what I'm readind if his velocity can sit 88-91 with good sink.

There is no doubt in my mind that JJ has seen Simon or has reports that Simon has better velo than what BA is reporting. Simon has the big frame that JJ loves.

I also trust our scouts who have seen very few low minors flame-outs among our first five rounders.

I am fine with the draft so far. JJ goes very close to slot in 2-4 or so and then starts popping the HS guys in like Narron, Bundy, Ohlman in the these next few rounds.

It is unusual for JJ to pop a relief pitcher in the first five rounds and he may have done it twice already.

Don't you wonder why others aren't taking them either?

No...I don't really care.

If they are signability question marks, that shouldn't be the issue. These guys are consensus top 50-75 guys...At this point in the draft, you are getting great value.

Spend the money and get the best players.

I'll wait until I hear what Jordan has to say about these guys before I start thinking signability. Jordan has been known to take the overslot guys in the 6-12th rounds.

And that would be great...But those guys are sitting there right now....Take them!

BTW, its not that I mind taking potential power relievers early on either...I loved the Klein pick last year, as a reliever.

My point is that in this draft, with the depth that it has, you wait on those guys IMO.

You probably could have had Wright in the 5th or 6th round and gotten the better starting pitching prospect in the 3rd round.

Stotle on Simon:

He was a 5th/6th rounder for me. Doesn't have a big arm, so he's stuck between "blow it out in an inning" or "dial back for the long haul". Groundball guy, good ratios, but I have a hard time picturing him throwing harder than 87-89 mph as a starter. Maybe softer than that. Back-end arm or a 7th inning guy in the pen.

And that would be great...But those guys are sitting there right now....Take them!

What if you can get them later? That waiting game is all part of the skill of the draft. The one thing the Orioles are pretty good at is knowing where guys will fall. It's way too early to get excited or upset at this draft so far in my opinion.

What if you can get them later? That waiting game is all part of the skill of the draft. The one thing the Orioles are pretty good at is knowing where guys will fall. It's way too early to get excited or upset at this draft so far in my opinion.

Tony, I don't see why it is wrong to be upset that this team is allowing better talent to go past them, as they reach for lesser players. How is that ever a good strategy?

BTW, I fully expect them to get a good talent or 2 later as an overslot type guy. I am not saying it won't happen.

Archived