Jordan speaks about A. Bradley and Rendon

Jordan said those reports that the Orioles were very interested late in the process in another Oklahoma high school pitcher, Archie Bradley, were accurate.

"I don't want to talk a lot about other people's players, but I'll tell you this: His talent put him in our conversation, he is that good. He didn't have the name recognition in Baltimore that Dylan did, but I assure you he was in our conversation. The reports that we were tied to him were not inaccurate. We just liked Dylan above him, that's how it played out in the end," Jordan said.

Anthony Rendon, the Rice infielder once projected to be the first pick in this draft, fell to sixth to the Nationals. I asked Jordan why the Orioles passed on Rendon.

"I'm just going to tell you that Bundy was right there with him," Jordan said. "There were just some factors in play, we wrestled it a little bit. Probably, two or three months from now, we can talk more about that once we get through with our signing of our player. It was just the right thing to do for us and that's pretty much how I have to explain it right now."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/06/the-backstory-of-drafting-dylan-bundy-with-joe-jordan.html

Sounds like Anthony Rendon may have told someone that he didn't want to sign with the Orioles. I think we got the better player anyway.

I highly doubt that's the case. If so, why would he feel any differently about the Gnats? Rendon doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would say something like that anyway.

Sounds a lot like they weren't happy with Rendon's medicals, but he isn't going to sabotage Rendon's negotiations with the Nats.

If he didn't like his medicals I dont see how that would sabotage Rendon's negotiations. The Nats will see the same medicals.

If he didn't like his medicals I dont see how that would sabotage Rendon's negotiations. The Nats will see the same medicals.

They could perceive them differently. It's just common courtesy not to come out and say that they didn't take him because they didn't like the medicals, while the Nats and Rendon try to work out a contract. I suppose sabotage isn't a good word choice - Maybe etiquette would have been better.

That's all just Jordan speak. He's never going to say publicly how he felt about one player over another and he'll be very guarded about Bundy until they get him signed. Too many people want to run out and get Jordan quotes before the draft day is out, but honestly, he's not going to give them much.

The guy is trying to focus on the guys he has. He's not worried about who they didn't get.

My impression is that they would have passed on anyone but Bundy and Cole for Rendon. But Bundy was there, and he was their top guy.

If Bundy, Cole and Rendon were gone in the top 3, I believe they would have selected Archie Bradley.

My impression is that they would have passed on anyone but Bundy and Cole for Rendon. But Bundy was there, and he was their top guy.

If Bundy, Cole and Rendon were gone in the top 3, I believe they would have selected Archie Bradley.

In hindsight I am totally okay with all of that.

Yea, I think JJ just flat out wanted Bundy more than Rendon, medical reports be damned.

I don't agree with that but I get the impression that Bundy was #1 on their board.

Archived