Looking ahead to the 2012 draft

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Poor wording on my part I guess.

BTW, I absolutely agree re: statistical analysis of 2011. We simply don't have enough data to draw inferences about loss in production due to bats, which I hardly intended to do. I simply said that it's a concern. A strong showing in 2012 could go a long way toward easing my doubts about Diekroeger.

No it was my fault. I was thinking of terms as used in the industry as opposed to just general baseball talk.

Understood re Diekroger, and I actually agree. I answered a twitter question last night or the night before saying I have concerns about Diek's bat if he has to shift off of short.

No it was my fault. I was thinking of terms as used in the industry as opposed to just general baseball talk.

Understood re Diekroger, and I actually agree. I answered a twitter question last night or the night before saying I have concerns about Diek's bat if he has to shift off of short.

Hah, that question was from me, Nick.

Love how the Nats got the swinging sensation so to speak two years in a row. Analysts gushing over how great Rendon is going to be and he STILL falls into their laps. Granted, his injury concerns are a legit issue, but still... the potential is there for that to be huge for them... on top of their other great players.

Thanks for that. Maybe some of the college undergraduates who were drafted this year will be back in the pool then.

A few decent ones will be. Happens every year. Tyler Wilson (Orioles 10th rd. pick this year) was a senior who returned after being drafted by Reds in the 35th round and failing to sign.

I doubt any of the first-round juniors will fail to sign, however, as they face a major loss of leverage after completing high school and facing harder slotting in 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

Just doing some browsing and saw Zunino mentioned..

Know of an AL scout that was following Zunino for a week in the Cape. Came away less than impressed. His D, which college announcers left and right all spring was praising, the scout said he was struggling receiving. Also was having issues squaring up good fastballs with wood. I haven't looked recently but his numbers were bad at last check.

Outside of that, I've really been impressed with Joey Gallo from Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas. He, McCullers, and Giolito are currently my favorite prep guys. I'm not as high on Russell as many, but he's definitely a talent.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone of note go unsigned in this years draft that would be a target next year?

Sam Stafford (lhp, Texas)

Peter O'Brien (c, Bethune-Cookman)

Matt Price (rhp, South Carolina)

Taylor Dugas (of, Alabama)

Ian Gardeck (rhp, Angelina JuCo (Texas) -- committed to Alabama)

Ross Stripling (rhp, Texas A&M)

Jason Coats (of, TCU)

Nick Grim (rhp, Monterey Peninsula JuCo (Calif.))

Preston Tucker (1b/of, Florida)

Kevin Brady (rhp, Clemson)

Blake Forslund (rhp, Liberty)

Matt Ramsey (rhp, Tennessee)

Not sure which HSers (if any) have announced decision to go to JuCo. I believe Baez and Lindor would have been at Chipola, but both signed.

I think its pretty interesting to look back at the early draft previews for 2011 that came out in late 2010, early 2011. Several lists I saw didn't even have Bundy in the top 30. Below is a link to a Baseball America chat dated September 17, 2010; there is a Esposito mention in there. I guess what I'm getting at is that if you picked your top 5 guys right now, its likely that only one or 2 are likely to be top 5 picks when we get to the 2012 draft. Its incredible how much changes in a year with some of these guys.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/chat/2010/2610683.html

Sam Stafford (lhp, Texas)

Peter O'Brien (c, Bethune-Cookman)

Matt Price (rhp, South Carolina)

Taylor Dugas (of, Alabama)

Ian Gardeck (rhp, Angelina JuCo (Texas) -- committed to Alabama)

Ross Stripling (rhp, Texas A&M)

Jason Coats (of, TCU)

Nick Grim (rhp, Monterey Peninsula JuCo (Calif.))

Preston Tucker (1b/of, Florida)

Kevin Brady (rhp, Clemson)

Blake Forslund (rhp, Liberty)

Matt Ramsey (rhp, Tennessee)

Not sure which HSers (if any) have announced decision to go to JuCo. I believe Baez and Lindor would have been at Chipola, but both signed.

Wasn't Brady in the same O's draft as Bobby Bundy?

Archived