Bryce Harper struggling at AA; 2 for his last 30

Frobby

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harper meltdown. Ump looks like he just couldn't wait to toss Harper from this game.

I see a rough road ahead for this kid unless he grows up a shade, which I assume he will with age.

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/bryce_harper_gets_ejected_from_double_aa_game_after_arguing_call_video/6074263

I'm not defending Harper but the Umps being annoying and being too much a part of the game is an increasing trend. The helmet thing was too much, but that guy really threw Harper out quick. It was the end of the inning so that wasn't too bad. He'd be taking his helmet off anyway. And the ball did look a shade outside.

And then it looks like Harper is yelling, "it was outside, that's twice...that's f****** twice". And in the middle drew the line of where he thought the ball was. So I wonder if there were extenuating circumstances. Like Harper has been ejected twice by this guy, or was called out on strikes twice. And he had two strike outs in the game. Not clear if he was called out on both. If attitude helps him stay motivated though...there might be a few of these but you never know what keeps a player ticking.

Most umps don't actually vocalize the "ball" call. And when they call a strike, they do so less than two seconds after the pitch crosses the plate. Harper overreacted and maybe deserved to get tossed, but that is some absolutely terrible umpiring.

Most umps don't actually vocalize the "ball" call. And when they call a strike, they do so less than two seconds after the pitch crosses the plate. Harper overreacted and maybe deserved to get tossed, but that is some absolutely terrible umpiring.

I have zero question about that, the umpire looked to me like he was looking for a reason to toss Harper. Totally bush league, but man... Harper's in for a rough go whenever he cracks a big league lineup w/ an attitude like that.

In all fairness, if I am an Ump and a guy takes off for first before I make my call, the strike zone is going to immediately widen.
If an umpire is being disrespected he should find a way to correct it, but not something that could be game changing.

I doubt it.

Maybe this umpire putting his ego over the rules is why he is in the minors.

Hey now! I said that my strikezone would widen if someone showed me up like that. There is no evidence at all that the Umpire in question called a pitch he thought was a ball a strike.

Also, you see plenty of that in the pros, remember Gregg striking out Chipper after Chipper pulled the same stunt earlier in the year?

If an umpire is being disrespected, he should call the game in a way that will make people respect him, not eject players at the drop of a hat (or helmet).
Exactly an umpire's job is to create a fair game, not let their ego get in the way of which team wins and loses. Usually when umpires toss managers or players, I believe they know they've screwed up and take offense to the person drawing attention to it.

Archived