Bryce Harper struggling at AA; 2 for his last 30

Frobby

I read in the Post that his promotion that skipped Woodbridge was because of the poor field conditions there.

I too heard mention of the field in Potomac. Makes sense plus Harrisburg is a good place for him to spend a season or more learning how to play the game. Great field, good coaching, winning team, nice city. We get Harper for three games starting this Monday. Bowie expects sellouts for all three games.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good find, B-Terp. Got me to Google this Stewart guy from Prince William County:

Pfitzner Stadium Pic:

20110720-214325-pic-233456745_s200x300.jpg

Oct. 15, 2010 letter from Nationals Minor League Director. February 2011 passing by Prince William County Board of County Supervisors to designate $70,000 to work with PWC Park Authority and Potomac Nationals ownership:

http://www.pwcgov.org/documents/bocs/agendas/2011/0208/11-O.pdf

The Nationals and Prince William County should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they fix this soon.

The Nationals and Prince William County should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they fix this soon.

Hopefully the Nats leave PWC, they fix the stadium and we move AAA to there.

Or we just find another venue and change our Bowie/Frederick/Delmarva/Aberdeen levels to allow AAA at one of those locations.

Looks like he just got his stroke back by hitting 2 doubles off of Britton in the same inning (5th)

You are just the king of SSS aren't you? First 12 at bats for Wieters now 2 at bats for Harper. I guess the next time Nick walks you are going to predict a 1.000 OBP the rest of the season.

Looks like he just got his stroke back by hitting 2 doubles off of Britton in the same inning (5th)

Was at the game tonight, and both doubles were roped. One to left center that one hopped the fence and the other was pulled down the right field line. I was impressed with how the ball really jumps off his bat, even the sac fly was hit on the button.

Was at the game tonight, and both doubles were roped. One to left center that one hopped the fence and the other was pulled down the right field line. I was impressed with how the ball really jumps off his bat, even the sac fly was hit on the button.

He is a very talented young man and he can only get better. What impressed me the most was the throw from deep left field. After catching a long drive by Mahoney up against the wall he overthrew his cutoff and one bounced the throw to the first baseman as he attempted to double up Hoes at first. One of the longest throws I have ever seen by a minor league player.

Or we just find another venue and change our Bowie/Frederick/Delmarva/Aberdeen levels to allow AAA at one of those locations.

The biggest problem would be attendance. I don't think an AAA team would draw at Prince William Stadium. The area is already saturated with sports franchises competing with one another. Norfolk only has the Tides and draw around 6K a night. Bowie draws close to 4K. Would be a nice advantage for the Orioles however the teams must make some form of profit and draw.

Boo! I'm from the Hampton Roads area and the Tides are the only professional team (even though it is AAA) of the big 3 even close to the area. I really think the O's have an untapped market with Norfolk. I'd be very sad to see the O's change AAA affiliates.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from the Harrisburg vs. Reading game. Harper was 2-4 with the hit that won the game along with the winning run scored. He hit 3 balls really hard during the game with the last one a shot down the line. He hustled the whole play and scored when the catcher missed the throw from Right. The pitcher he hit the ball off the ninth had struck out the side the inning before. Only a total of 9 hits between the teams all game. Was 0-0 going into the ninth. I got some good pictures of him at 1b with Rizzotti from the Phils. Looks like whatever struggles he had at the beginning were not present during tonight's game. Fans booed him after his slide into home during the ninth. Classic.

Just got home from the Harrisburg vs. Reading game. Harper was 2-4 with the hit that won the game along with the winning run scored. He hit 3 balls really hard during the game with the last one a shot down the line. He hustled the whole play and scored when the catcher missed the throw from Right. The pitcher he hit the ball off the ninth had struck out the side the inning before. Only a total of 9 hits between the teams all game. Was 0-0 going into the ninth. I got some good pictures of him at 1b with Rizzotti from the Phils. Looks like whatever struggles he had at the beginning were not present during tonight's game. Fans booed him after his slide into home during the ninth. Classic.

Bryce Harper is going to be fine. I mean, major leaguers go through horrible slumps. Cal Ripken had some really bad ones and he played through them and made it into the Hall of Fame. If careers were based off of the first 250 at bats in the majors then a lot of good players would have failed. Besides, slumps and being over-matched look the same in the box score. A line drive out is the same as a pop out. Unless someone is watching him play every game it is hard to tell how a player is doing.

I like Machado, but I would trade Machado, Tillman, and Hoes if the Nationals were willing to send Harper our way. Machado might be a good #3 hitter, but Harper is going to destroy some of those big league pitches like Josh Hamilton has done. Harper has the ability to be an MVP.

Bryce Harper is going to be fine. I mean, major leaguers go through horrible slumps. Cal Ripken had some really bad ones and he played through them and made it into the Hall of Fame. If careers were based off of the first 250 at bats in the majors then a lot of good players would have failed. Besides, slumps and being over-matched look the same in the box score. A line drive out is the same as a pop out. Unless someone is watching him play every game it is hard to tell how a player is doing.

I like Machado, but I would trade Machado, Tillman, and Hoes if the Nationals were willing to send Harper our way. Machado might be a good #3 hitter, but Harper is going to destroy some of those big league pitches like Josh Hamilton has done. Harper has the ability to be an MVP.

Machado doesn't?

Archived