Jeffrey Maier on the Fangraphs Podcast

isestrex

"It would have been a double, and the next batter got a single. The run would have scored either way" - paraphrasing Jeffrey Maier
Tony Tarasco was settling under that lazy warning track flyball when fan interference intercepted it's downward path. Watch the play sometime PUNK.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was determined to ignore this thread, but feel compelled to reply. Perhaps my understanding of the situation is limited, so there is that, but I can't for the life of me understand how grown adults can have actual hatred in their hearts for a 12-year old kid. He should be about 27 now, and I wouldn't even consider treating him any different than any other human being I would ever meet... as the anger over a blown call by an umpire 15 years ago doesn't equate into hating a kid. Sure his parents could have handled the situation much better, and sure the media shouldn't have glorified the interference, but let me ask you this: If Jeffrey were your kid, or friend, wouldn't you want the sadness that was caused to the other team and their fans be forgiven? It was a terrible decision that still haunts Orioles fans, but I think the time for letting the negativity and hatred for Maier go away-- is well past due.

Great post Greg. I'm with you on this 100%. All of this hatred towards a 12 yr. old, should have been left go many years ago. JMHO

Cindy, I don't think that he is Satan. That was Gregg's point, and that is why I agree with most of what Gregg said. This is what I think of him. I think that he had bad parenting, and it shows ...... not only back then in 1996, but now that he is a grown man. He is 27 years-old now, and like a child, he continues to deny that the ball would have easily been caught. My biggest issue is not what happened in that game 15 years ago. My issue is with his parents' past behavior (accepting free tickets for doing something wrong), and with his current behavior (he's not a child anymore, but he continues to act like a child).

I didn't think that he nor his parents were Satan then, and I don't think that they are Satan now. I think that he was a spoiled kid with parents that didn't have much character. And I think the (now) young man doesn't have much character now, with his continued embellishment of the whole situation. But Jeffrey Maier and his parents are far from Satan.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

I am a little emmotional ....can you tell??? But that was one of the worst nights pf my life!!!!I can try to forgive...but I will NEVER forget!

I was determined to ignore this thread, but feel compelled to reply. Perhaps my understanding of the situation is limited, so there is that, but I can't for the life of me understand how grown adults can have actual hatred in their hearts for a 12-year old kid. He should be about 27 now, and I wouldn't even consider treating him any different than any other human being I would ever meet... as the anger over a blown call by an umpire 15 years ago doesn't equate into hating a kid. Sure his parents could have handled the situation much better, and sure the media shouldn't have glorified the interference, but let me ask you this: If Jeffrey were your kid, or friend, wouldn't you want the sadness that was caused to the other team and their fans be forgiven? It was a terrible decision that still haunts Orioles fans, but I think the time for letting the negativity and hatred for Maier go away-- is well past due.

OK fine. But that doesn't mean we have to like Rich Garcia, right? ;)

Kidding aside, the seating area at the time invited people to lean over and try to snag a souvenir. It's hard to genuinely hate a 12 year-old kid for getting caught up in the moment. IMO Garcia deserves to be the lightning rod, but it just didn't turn out that way.

Let's don't forget this wasn't the deciding game, it was only Game 1.

We were swept at home by the MFY's in the ALCS. I remember an inning in Game 4 or 5 where we had the bases loaded with no outs, and they brought in Mo who proceeded to strike out the side.

I can't stand the kid, but I can't place the blame solely on him for our follies in the 1996 ALCS.

At the time I hated how he became a hero for interfering witha play, getting on Live with Regis and Kathy Lee and other programs which were basically celebrating his interference in the game because it helped the Yankees.

His denial about the truth of the play is understandable. At 12 he was probably told by his father that Tarasco wouldn't have caught the ball anyway and he believes it. Probably hasn't watched the play as often as we have.

Though I admit after Scott Norwood's missed field goal, that play is one of the ones I never want to see again.

At the time I hated how he became a hero for interfering witha play, getting on Live with Regis and Kathy Lee and other programs which were basically celebrating his interference in the game because it helped the Yankees.

His denial about the truth of the play is understandable. At 12 he was probably told by his father that Tarasco wouldn't have caught the ball anyway and he believes it. Probably hasn't watched the play as often as we have.

Though I admit after Scott Norwood's missed field goal, that play is one of the ones I never want to see again.

Sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. You're suggesting one of 2 things.

A. This kid has not seen the play since he became an adult, and he only has his father's word to go on it from 15 years ago.

OR

B. It is necessary to watch the replay numerous times, over and over again to be absolutely sure that Tarasco was camped under the ball ready to make the catch easily. Maier, because he hasn't seen the play "as much as we have" therefore cannot be expected to have a clue as to whether or not the ball would have been easily caught ....... and again, therefore only has his father's word to go by to this very day.

OR

Both A and B.

My suggestion is the kid was told he didn't alter the outcome of the game because the ball would not have been caught. He believed that. He still thinks so, probably due to not having seen it all that often.

I've heard others (such as Buster Olney) say Tarasco would not have caught the ball, so its feasible to believe Maier could watch the play and not think it would have been caught.

Its also possible that he just doesn't want to admit that he did change the course of that game.

My suggestion is the kid was told he didn't alter the outcome of the game because the ball would not have been caught. He believed that. He still thinks so, probably due to not having seen it all that often.

Again ... anybody that watched that play needs to see it (at most) two or three times to see that Tarasco was already camped under the ball, and would have caught the ball easily. Your suggestion that Maier "probably has not seen it all that often" is absurd. If he's still commenting on it, obviously he has watched it numerous times to make any claim whatsoever about what happened, and what would have happened had he not interfered.

I've heard others (such as Buster Olney) say Tarasco would not have caught the ball, so its feasible to believe Maier could watch the play and not think it would have been caught.

Buster Olney is a sportswriter that covers the Yankees, and has written a book about the Yankees' most recent dynasty. Who are the "others" that you have heard that claim that Tarasco would not have caught the ball ???

Buster Olney is a sportswriter for the Yankees. Who are the "others" that you have heard that claim that Tarasco would not have caught the ball ???

Um, well its kind of hard to remember every writer/sportscaster who has said Tarasco wouldn't have caught it over the past 15 years. I bet every announcer tied to the Yankees has said it, while every Orioles announcer has said the opposite. I know I've heard several announcers/writers say it, but most were on the Yankees Radio since that's what I get here in Albany.

You can think its absurd to think he hasn't watched it all that often. I've seen it on Yes a few times, but other than when it happened it doesn't air on ESPN anymore. He probably saw it several times in 96, but how often has he watched it since? Who really knows.

• 3 years later...
From Wiki...

As I said earlier, his parents should have handled themselves better, but that cannot be attributed to Jeffrey. Regarding his seeking attention and 'milking' the situation, I don't see it that way at all. It appears that there have only been a handful of interviews conducted, and almost certainly not ones that he went looking for. He loves the game and wants to be a part of it... so granting an occasional interview doesn't scream 'attention seeker' to me. We agree about his folks, but I guess we see his actions as an adult somewhat differently. Regardless, I appreciate your views on the matter.

On the other hand, I doubt he would have been paid the attention by ESPN, MLB, WashPo,etc. Nor the interviews for MLB front office positions if not for the cheating. Clearly, cheaters prosper, at least in this case.

Um, well its kind of hard to remember every writer/sportscaster who has said Tarasco wouldn't have caught it over the past 15 years. I bet every announcer tied to the Yankees has said it, while every Orioles announcer has said the opposite. I know I've heard several announcers/writers say it, but most were on the Yankees Radio since that's what I get here in Albany.

You can think its absurd to think he hasn't watched it all that often. I've seen it on Yes a few times, but other than when it happened it doesn't air on ESPN anymore. He probably saw it several times in 96, but how often has he watched it since? Who really knows.

I'd bet you he has an extensive video collection of every TV appearance and has played that clip of him cheating for friends, parents, girlfriends and anyone else willing to endure his narcissism

• 8 months later...

I'd bet you he has an extensive video collection of every TV appearance and has played that clip of him cheating for friends, parents, girlfriends and anyone else willing to endure his narcissism

Just a hunch, but I suspect that Jeffrey Maier has had access to youtube for at least the past 8 or 9 years, also.

But as James I asserts, who really knows for sure if he has seen it often enough to know whether or not Tarasco would have caught the ball?

Archived