Jeffrey Maier on the Fangraphs Podcast

isestrex

Yep, I've never been as angry about a sporting event as I was with that POS. What was even worse was the way the city celebrated that little piece of trash. Just thinking about it makes me furious.

A 12 year old that caught a baseball--where the umpire messed up--is a POS?

I think sports may be a little too important to some if that is the case.

It was BS and annoying how he was celebrated but it's just not that serious..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was determined to ignore this thread, but feel compelled to reply. Perhaps my understanding of the situation is limited, so there is that, but I can't for the life of me understand how grown adults can have actual hatred in their hearts for a 12-year old kid. He should be about 27 now, and I wouldn't even consider treating him any different than any other human being I would ever meet... as the anger over a blown call by an umpire 15 years ago doesn't equate into hating a kid. Sure his parents could have handled the situation much better, and sure the media shouldn't have glorified the interference, but let me ask you this: If Jeffrey were your kid, or friend, wouldn't you want the sadness that was caused to the other team and their fans be forgiven? It was a terrible decision that still haunts Orioles fans, but I think the time for letting the negativity and hatred for Maier go away-- is well past due.

I didn't see this when I made my last reply, well said sir

I never blamed the kid, and I refer to the incident as the Richie Garcia incident, rather than by the kid's name. There are two culprits in my view -- Richie Garcia and MLB for failing to fire Garcia seven years earlier when they first learned of his gambling.

Archived