What Oriole am I

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least he's consistent. ;)

Wieters is one of the best catchers in baseball. He's not a middle of the lineup hitter that his minor league stats suggesting he could become, but he's a big reason we made the playoffs this year. He's normally a great game caller (obviously he's had his bad moments ;) ) and you just don't run on him, you run off a slow to the plate pitcher. To each is own though. Some people will never be happy unless a player turns into the best player ever at their position.

Exactly. Wieters is a great player (I might argue underrated by some). Most of the disappointment probably stems from his unfortunate characterization as "Joe Mauer with Power". He's not that, and might not ever be that. But that doesn't mean he isn't valuable or that he's a "bust".

Exactly. Wieters is a great player (I might argue underrated by some). Most of the disappointment probably stems from his unfortunate characterization as "Joe Mauer with Power". He's not that, and might not ever be that. But that doesn't mean he isn't valuable or that he's a "bust".

Come on. He's a GREAT player? On what planet?

Calling him the biggest bust in franchise history is hardly a dumb comment when you consider all the factors, which I'm sure you didn't bother to do.

No really....it is that stupid lol

Billy Rowell was a bust.... Brandon Snyder was a bust....Matt Hobgood is well on his way to being a bust

Your two time all-star catcher and gold glover is not a bust just because he is not as good as YOU think he should be.

Has Weiters been the walking on water messiah he was made out to be...no... but he has been very good. Get a grip and think before you speak

He's a top 5 catcher. I'd argue a top 3 catcher. He's not a "great hitter" but he's a great player.

Since the term "great" and, by extension, defining what is "great" is generally subjective I guess we'll just have different personal thresholds as to what makes a player "great."

Since the term "great" and, by extension, defining what is "great" is generally subjective I guess we'll just have different personal thresholds as to what makes a player "great."

Ah well let's see. I'd say Jered Weaver is a "great" pitcher. Is he "the best"? No, I'd suspect not. But he's still great.

Same as Wieters. How many catchers are better than he is? Not too many.

So now you have gone from calling him a "BUST" ....your words not mine... to babbling about the definition of great. Kinda says everything that needs to be said about your original post..

So now you have gone from calling him a "BUST" ....your words not mine... to babbling about the definition of great. Kinda says everything that needs to be said about your original post..

I should mention that my original post in this thread was composed over a year ago. You can read, right?

He's one of the more valuable players in the game when you factor in position and defense. I can see Pedro's point though - he was supposed to be an elite hitter and hasn't lived up to those expectations. It has indeed been very frustrating watching him hit at times.

Wow, someone actually put the pitchfork down and gets it. Thank you.

Archived