Heyman: O's could sign Crisp soon (Update: Crisp signs with A's)

Greg

The Orioles don't seem like the obvious fit as they already have a fine young center fielder in Adam Jones. But they could move Jones to left field and form an outfield with three players capable ot playing center. The Braves have been asking about Jones' availability, but the asking price has been understandably high. Baltimore wouldn't do it straight-up for young righthander Jair Jurrjens.

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34168175

The Orioles would be stupid to do it for just JJ who was not great in 2010 or 2011. Keeping one guy until his stock fades while trying to obtain a player like Jones who's stock is still on the rise is a funny way to do things. I think the Orioles asked for JJ plus two of Minor, Beechy, Delgado, Teahan and Viscaino in hopes that the Braves would go JJ, one out of that group plus Prado. Picking up Crisp could allow the Orioles to move Reimold to the White Sox (Quentin just traded to Pads) or Jones to the Braves without needing to ask the Braves or Sox for an OF in return. The Orioles also could look to make Reimold the DH/4th OF and save some coin.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck said he was getting one.

I actually like Crisp. The Orioles really do not have a threat to run outside of Roberts who is hurt. He stole 82 bases over the last two years so there is some speed and he has to be a better bunter than anyone else of the team.

The Orioles don't seem like the obvious fit as they already have a fine young center fielder in Adam Jones. But they could move Jones to left field and form an outfield with three players capable ot playing center. The Braves have been asking about Jones' availability, but the asking price has been understandably high. Baltimore wouldn't do it straight-up for young righthander Jair Jurrjens.

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34168175

Moving Jones to LF and dealing Reimold is a definite possibility. Seems to me there is a good opportunity for a 3 way deal with ATL and San Diego here but I'm guessing CHI may be in the mix here. I'm not that trilled about Crisp in CF as he seems to be on the decline, but we'll see what we get in the subsequent deal(s) I guess.

Crisp only makes sense if the Orioles have something already set up for an Adam Jones trade. He'll need to do better than the .314 OBP last year, but his history suggests he should. He still hits the fastball well, but struggles with off speed pitches so he doesn't look like a candidate to fall off farther than last year. IF the orioles are trading Jones, they can do worse than Crisp in CF.

I would like to think there's some smoke here but with Heyman I'm always tempted to ignore his stuff.

I agree, but Crisp is not a huge draw and Heyman could have thrown out another team name. I do not always believe his stuff because I think that Boras can manipulate him a bit, but I do not think his intel is invalid unless he was led to believe otherwise. Boras isn't Crisp's agent, right?

Moving Jones to LF and dealing Reimold is a definite possibility. Seems to me there is a good opportunity for a 3 way deal with ATL and San Diego here but I'm guessing CHI may be in the mix here. I'm not that trilled about Crisp in CF as he seems to be on the decline, but we'll see what we get in the subsequent deal(s) I guess.

I hope this is not the plan. This would make a lot of sense if we were on the verge of contending, but since we're not, we should be trading the established player and hanging onto the guy with low value/big upside.

I hope this is not the plan. This would make a lot of sense if we were on the verge of contending, but since we're not, we should be trading the established player and hanging onto the guy with low value/big upside.

Yeah, I'd rather deal Jones for a bigger package myself...of young ML ready talent. Not the Jurggens/Prado deal though.

Crisp only makes sense if the Orioles have something already set up for an Adam Jones trade. He'll need to do better than the .314 OBP last year, but his history suggests he should. He still hits the fastball well, but struggles with off speed pitches so he doesn't look like a candidate to fall off father than last year. IF the orioles are trading Jones, they can do worse than Crisp in CF.

I agree Tony and Crisp can swipe a base (165 in the last 6 seasons). His OPS went down to .692 in 2012, but it wasn't terrible in 2010-.780, 2009-.714 or 2008-.751. Since most of his OPS does not come from the long ball I think he could have a chance at decent number in OPACY. The outfield was so big in Oakland and KC that the number of extra base hits could seem high, but he did well in Cleveland and Boston as well. Crisp would likely mean that Jones would be traded very soon and I would be interested to see what type of package we could get for him.

Archived