Intentional Talk (Kevin Millar) discusses Jones for Jurrjens and Prado...

andrewrickli

Millar and the other guy (forget his name) said that they really like this trade for a few reasons...

1) Each team gets what they need. Atlanta needs a CF who can hit with power. The Orioles need a legit starting pitcher and a 2B man, and of course players with high OBP.

2) All of the players are in their prime, and have room for improvement. Jurrjens and Jones are 26, and Prado is 28. Prado had a down year in 2011, but had a + .820 OPS in 2009 and 2010 and own a career .293 BA mark. Also, he hit for 39 and 40 doubles the last two years. IMO, he would be a GREAT replacement for B-Rob if he can's go, and if he can, then Prado can play 3B, with Reynolds at DH. Millar and the other guy echoed me with this.

3) Duquette has expressed that he wants an upgrade with his teams OBP %, and that he isn't sure that our 2B for next year is on our current roster (meaning he is looking to add one).

Millar also said that Jurrjens has a big heart, and would compete well in Baltimore and the AL East. He says that he is a legit TOR and that Detroit gave up on him way too soon.

Personally, I think that Jurrjens will be a great addition if this trade is made. He is only 26, and still has room for improvement.

Many people are weary on the Braves and their trading with pitchers, because the majority of the time the pitchers that they trade either are damaged goods, or decline. However, in this case, this would be the youngest pitcher that the Braves have traded. The Braves don't HAVE to trade Jurrjens but the fact that he is about to get expensive, and the fact that they believe their young guys will eventually be able to fill his shoes, makes him expandable to teams that have what the Braves are in need of....a RH CF bat, with power.

At the end of the day, we do over evaluate Jones, and I do think that Jones for Jurrjens and Prado is a good deal, OR they could trade Jones for multiple "what if" prospects. "Prospects" are guys that have potential, and the Orioles know all about pitching prospects (Lowen, Cabrerra, Liz, Olsen, Penn, ect..)

OTOH, Jurrjens and Prado are proven.

If you can get a 2B/3B/LF that will hit 30+ doubles a year, get on base, and hit close to .300 and an All Star pitcher who was 3rd in the NL in ERA (2.60) in 2009 and 14th with 3.68 ERA in 2008, for the record he pitched to a sub 2 ERA before the AS game last year. His ERA was inflated after the break due to his injury which is better now according to reports. Not many teams can say that they have a starting pitcher who started the AS game for their respected league. FWIW, he also led the league in games started in 2009 with 34.

He owns a 50-33 career W-L record, and a 3.40 ERA.

Jones is about to get expensive, as is Jurrjens, however, CF with some power are a little easier to develop and obtain than a TOR starting pitcher, IMO. Jurrjens is a great #2, and a good #1.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones is about to get expensive, as is Jurrjens, however, CF with some power are a little easier to develop and obtain than a TOR starting pitcher, IMO. Jurrjens is a great #2, and a good #1.

Here are all the power hitting CFers in baseball that can hit for average as well:

Matt Kemp, Jacoby Ellsbury, Curtis Granderson, Andrew McCutchen, and Adam Jones

That's 5

There were 34 starting pitchers last year that pitched 180 innings or more and had a sub 3.5 ERA.

And Jurrjens wasn't one of them.

FWIW, Adam's mom had this to say on FB...

It's really sad how fans are running him out of town IMO. They won't know what they've lost until he's gone...and we have a platoon of Chavez and Miller in CF...

Hopefully I won't care by then...

It's a damn shame that people want to trade him instead of build around him.

It's really sad how fans are running him out of town IMO. They won't know what they've lost until he's gone...and we have a platoon of Chavez and Miller in CF...

They're not running him out of town, Trea! We can a really big haul for Adam. Atlanta wants him BAD.

Here are all the power hitting CFers in baseball that can hit for average as well:

Matt Kemp, Jacoby Ellsbury, Curtis Granderson, Andrew McCutchen, and Adam Jones

That's 5

There were 34 starting pitchers last year that pitched 180 innings or more and had a sub 3.5 ERA.

And Jurrjens wasn't one of them.

Fair enough. However, we have done a TERRIBLE job at developing pitching, and obtaining it. We can make the argument that Duquette will turn that around, but that will take time, and you want to win now, as do I Trea. But whatever Adam Jones brings us with the bat, I will bet that Reimold would as well, and nolan will get on base more.

Don't get me wrong, Adam is a great player, but we need pitching, and we need it badly. We don't offer more than 3 years to pitchers (so you can rule out any TOR free agent pitchers) and we haven't developed a legit starting pitcher since Britton, and even now he is a question mark as to what he will be.

I just feel like we should trade Jones, and get a TOR starter, and Prado, a VERY good ball player while Jone's value is still high, I think we can match Jone's production somewhow, but how? I'm not sure yet.

Fair enough. However, we have done a TERRIBLE job at developing pitching, and obtaining it. We can make the argument that Duquette will turn that around, but that will take time, and you want to win now, as do I Trea. But whatever Adam Jones brings us with the bat, I will bet that Reimold would as well, and nolan will get on base more.

Don't get me wrong, Adam is a great player, but we need pitching, and we need it badly. We don't offer more than 3 years to pitchers (so you can rule out any TOR free agent pitchers) and we haven't developed a legit starting pitcher since Britton, and even now he is a question mark as to what he will be.

I just feel like we should trade Jones, and get a TOR starter, and Prado, a VERY good ball player while Jone's value is still high, I think we can match Jone's production somewhow, but how? I'm not sure yet.

The only way to make up for the loss of Jones would be to sign Fielder IMO. A lot of fans are going to hate to see Jones and his offense go, and the Orioles don't have anybody including Reimold that can make that up.

Trading Jones is waiving a white flag IMO.

Archived