Thought: Johnny Damon to Baltimore?

Nick The Stick

Baltimore needs a lead-off hitter with Roberts on the mend and/or possibly retiring.

Although Johnny has been a member of our rival teams, would you be open to the idea? I think DD will be. He can be a lead-off hitter and our everyday DH. Is he on the decline, though?

MASN asks the question on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/MASNOrioles/posts/100523993403050

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's amusing that he might get to 3,000 hits. I've always liked Damon. He will probably end up having a better season than whoever becomes our leadoff hitter, but I don't think the Orioles are going to want a full-time DH. I think Buck will want to cycle players through that position. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Endy Chavez ends up being the main leadoff guy, as horrible as that is. Or maybe Andino. Damon will probably be better than both those guys but nonetheless I don't think we should sign him.

I still wish we had gone after David DeJesus. I think he would have fit our needs very well.

I think it is entirely possible that this happens. Damon was a 2.8 rWAR player in 2011, and he's been worth at least 2.3 rWAR each of the last 8 years. He's a disciplined hitter who has seen at least 4.0 P/PA in 8 of the last 9 years. He's clearly in decline (his BA and OBP have dropped each of the last 3 years and his BB rate dropped quite a bit last year), but at the same time, brings an approach at the plate that this team needs more of. He made $5.25 mm last year and would stand to get less in 2012. Oh, and don't forget that Duquette was the one who brought him to the Red Sox. I won't be that surprised if he ends up an Oriole.

Archived