Thought: Johnny Damon to Baltimore?

Nick The Stick

Haha - I am not for it, but I posted this in another thread...

Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing. The funny thing is with that kooky swing he plays like an MVP candidate in Camden Yards...

In under a full season, 526 plate app/473 ab's, he's gone .313-21-77 .886 OPS (.370/.516).

I AM NOT REMOTELY IN FAVOR OF IT, just sayin'...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is entirely possible that this happens. Damon was a 2.8 rWAR player in 2011, and he's been worth at least 2.3 rWAR each of the last 8 years. He's a disciplined hitter who has seen at least 4.0 P/PA in 8 of the last 9 years. He's clearly in decline (his BA and OBP have dropped each of the last 3 years and his BB rate dropped quite a bit last year), but at the same time, brings an approach at the plate that this team needs more of. He made $5.25 mm last year and would stand to get less in 2012. Oh, and don't forget that Duquette was the one who brought him to the Red Sox. I won't be that surprised if he ends up an Oriole.

I would not be surprised in the least if he ends up on a 1/5 deal with the O's and give us 633 PAs of a .693 OPS.

This would give him eligibility in the Andy Van Slyke club of random good players who signed with the O's for 15 minutes at the end of their careers. He could get together for beers with Van Slyke, Joe Carter, Dwight Evans, Keith Moreland, Ron Kittle...

I don't think it will happen. DD seems to be forging a new way of how things are done for the Orioles. Signing a once great player that is over-the-hill is a thing of past. Atleast I hope

If this was totally true, he wouldn't have sent his guys to scout Manny.

Baltimore needs a lead-off hitter with Roberts on the mend and/or possibly retiring.

Although Johnny has been a member of our rival teams, would you be open to the idea? I think DD will be. He can be a lead-off hitter and our everyday DH. Is he on the decline, though?

MASN asks the question on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/MASNOrioles/posts/100523993403050

Not to pick on you Nick...But I'd hope the Orioles have learned not to bring in old used up veterans.

I don't see the harm in signing Damon to a one-year deal. At worst he'll just fail and they can move on. At best he could be a nice trade chip at the deadline. Who is the young phenom lead-off hitter he'll be blocking?

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind Damon for a 1-year deal with hopes that he has a solid year and can be dealt at the deadline.

We don't have anyone else who can really step in and fill the role that he'd fill and there is probably no one out there who could do that for the price Damon would likely get.

It sucks having to turn to washed up vets all the time and wait for the final nail to be hammered in on their career while they are in Baltimore, but until we start drafting and developing players better, this is what we have to do.

Archived