Roch: Trade talks with Jones are "intensifying" again?

ChaosLex

Jones didn't provide a firm answer last night when asked during an interview on WBAL Radio whether he would be open to signing a contract extension if approached by the Orioles. Jones only confirmed that the Orioles haven't contacted his agent regarding an extension. He wasn't interested in hypothetical situations.

Jones also told host Brett Hollander that he mostly ignores all the trade rumors.

They're not going away. I heard last night that trade talks involving Jones are intensifying again, though that could mean that executive vice president Dan Duquette is fielding more calls and making counter proposals that are being rejected. I don't have specifics.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/01/cuban-outfielder-yoenis-cespedes-playing.html

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I would love many things about being a baseball player, the uncertainty caused by trade rumors would really bother me, I suspect. It sucks not to be in control of your own destiny. You almost have to ignore the rumors to retain your sanity.

Although I would love many things about being a baseball player, the uncertainty caused by trade rumors would really bother me, I suspect. It sucks not to be in control of your own destiny. You almost have to ignore the rumors to retain your sanity.

Yeah, the business of baseball would make things less fun. But I would still have loved to have had the gifts and the opportunity to have lived that life for 10 to 13 years.

I think with all vocations, there is the glamorized aspects and the drudgery/negative components.

Unless Duquette can pillage somebody's farm system and get back players that can contribute right away, they need to keep Jones.

Our OF depth in the minors is non-existant.

I do think we focus a little to much on acquiring pitching around here. I love to see us get a top positional prospect in addition to a great young arm.

Is it just me or does Jones' answer about an extension basically sound like an "I don't want to extend here" repackaged. I mean how many times have you heard a player for a team say a variation of "I love it here and want to be an [insert team] for my entire career."

Has Jones ever said anything resembling those words? I like the idea of signing Jones to an extension personally, but I wonder if it's been made clear behind the scenes that he isn't extending.

I mean who the heck would want to extend here and be guaranteed no chance at the postseason year after year. We are forced to celebrate less than mediocrity here since we are fans and have our own illogical, emotional ties to this wretched team.

But maybe Jones sees his escape route.

Unless Duquette can pillage somebody's farm system and get back players that can contribute right away, they need to keep Jones.

Our OF depth in the minors is non-existant.

Trea.... I get your agenda and I do respect you as a poster. But I think we'd all agree it goes without saying that the Orioles need to get a whole lot for Jones. If they can send him and Andino for Jurrjens, Prado, Salcedo, and one of Delgado/Minor/ Viscaino they would be doing well. And Jurrjens can be used to get 3 more young guys at the deadline. Typically the returned prospects with be better if a solid MLB'er is moved at the trade deadline as teams usually dont deal from their active roster. It would be ok to include the return from Jurrjens later as part of the return for Jones.

Jones wont answer any questions about resigning ....That IMO says it all about his desire to stay here...If he truly did it wouldnt hurt to say "I'd Love to stay here or We will consider all offers " or something positive.

It would be nice to see Kansas City step up their efforts for Jones. They have said in the past they want a CF with tools like his. I would love a package of:

Will Myers -OF

Cheslor Cuthbert - 3B

Chris Dwyer- LHP

This would not cripple their system even though it is 3 of their top prospects but gives them the opportunity to add Jones to a very young and good core.

Is it just me or does Jones' answer about an extension basically sound like an "I don't want to extend here" repackaged. I mean how many times have you heard a player for a team say a variation of "I love it here and want to be an [insert team] for my entire career."

Has Jones ever said anything resembling those words? I like the idea of signing Jones to an extension personally, but I wonder if it's been made clear behind the scenes that he isn't extending.

I mean who the heck would want to extend here and be guaranteed no chance at the postseason year after year. We are forced to celebrate less than mediocrity here since we are fans and have our own illogical, emotional ties to this wretched team.

Exactly...This is a two way street.

If you are the Orioles, you have to trade him because your options just aren't there to do anything else IMO.

If you are Jones, why do you want to stay on the Titanic when you have a chance to get off?

For the first time, I am going to man up and say that I was against the Bedard trade at the time. Obviously my viewpoint was flawed. The reason I bring that up is because Bedard was my

favorite player at the time, as Jones is now. I seem to get an attachment to my favorite players, which clouds my judgment as far as trades. But it is clear we are probably not going to

contend while Jones is in his prime, so why keep him on the team? We obviously should not give him away but we should be exploring every possible offer. Trading Jones would be a win for

all parties involved. If we play our cards right, we could get a good amount of talent for him. Jones would have a chance for a team that actually has a shot at the post season. I am

getting to the point at which I will be disappointed if Jones is not traded.

FWIW, I tweeted Jones after he had made that comment about loyalty being tested over the next few weeks. He was referring to either getting extended or traded. I tweeted him telling him to DO IT and to be in B-MORE for the rest of his career. He re-tweeted it and started following me. I think if the Orioles approached him and offered him a fair extension, he'd definitely sign on.

Archived