Roch: Trade talks with Jones are "intensifying" again?

ChaosLex

FWIW, I tweeted Jones after he had made that comment about loyalty being tested over the next few weeks. He was referring to either getting extended or traded. I tweeted him telling him to DO IT and to be in B-MORE for the rest of his career. He re-tweeted it and started following me. I think if the Orioles approached him and offered him a fair extension, he'd definitely sign on.

If you are right then I respect Jones greatly as a fan and pity him just as greatly as a human being who will share in his suffering as we continue to suck during all his prime years.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orioles / Jones talk extension: 4/40

Orioles center fielder Adam Jones has appeared in more than his share of trade rumors this offseason, but there’s a chance he’ll stay in Baltimore long-term. Jones told WBAL 1090 in Baltimore this week that he’s not ruling out an extension should the Orioles pursue one with him.

“That has not been presented,” he said. “It’s kind of like looking into the future, which is a hard thing to do.”

Jones projects to earn $5.8MM or so in 2012 as a second time arbitration eligible player. MLBTR's Tim Dierkes suggested in August that a four-year extension in the $40MM range could work for the Orioles and the CAA client. Jones, 26, is on track to hit free agency after the 2013 season. He posted a .280/.319/.466 line with 25 homers last year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/adam-jones-talks-extension.html

Talk about two different interpretations. I think most read that and think he wants out. Yet MLBRumors reads it and see it and spins it sorta positively. My sense (and that's all it is) is that he wants out. If that is the case, he needs to go the sooner the better. Even if he wants to stay I think trading him if the package is right is the way to go. That said, we will probably spend the next 10 years trying to find someone that will put up even similar numbers in CF.. Such is the life of the Baltimore Baseball Team.

Unless Duquette can pillage somebody's farm system and get back players that can contribute right away, they need to keep Jones.

Our OF depth in the minors is non-existant.

The Orioles need to trade him for the highest return possible and if that is 3-4 top prospects than so be it. That being said, for me the obect of any trade I would make would be to better my team.

So...

Jurrjens and Prado are both upgrades to this club as we need a second baseman and a pitcher that can at least be #3 good. Jurrjens is a #3 starter with the stuff be better IMO. I guys like Spruill, Salcedo, Gilmartin, La Stella, Graham are put into the deal than the team adds to the farm system as well.

The problem with your line of thinking (IMO) is that you are trying to win now and there is no scenario with our payroll at $85M where the current roster can be morphed into a playoff contender. I am not sure that Prince, Jackson, Cespedes and Oswalt could make us a playoff contender in 2012, but we would be a lot closer. A lot closer to the playoffs and a lot closer to a $115M+ payroll.

Is it just me or does Jones' answer about an extension basically sound like an "I don't want to extend here" repackaged. I mean how many times have you heard a player for a team say a variation of "I love it here and want to be an [insert team] for my entire career."

Has Jones ever said anything resembling those words? I like the idea of signing Jones to an extension personally, but I wonder if it's been made clear behind the scenes that he isn't extending

I mean who the heck would want to extend here and be guaranteed no chance at the postseason year after year. We are forced to celebrate less than mediocrity here since we are fans and have our own illogical, emotional ties to this wretched team.

But maybe Jones sees his escape route.

Jones would extend if the team was committed to winning around him.

Talk about two different interpretations. I think most read that and think he wants out. Yet MLBRumors reads it and see it and spins it sorta positively. My sense (and that's all it is) is that he wants out. If that is the case, he needs to go the sooner the better. Even if he wants to stay I think trading him if the package is right is the way to go. That said, we will probably spend the next 10 years trying to find someone that will put up even similar numbers in CF.. Such is the life of the Baltimore Baseball Team.

You do not need someone to put up Jones' numbers and play center. You need to find a player who can put up 70% of Jones numbers and a 1B, 2B, 3B and/or LF that put up better numbers and upgrade our starting pitching. Teams are built as complete units and every position can not be a rockstar IMO.

Is it just me or does Jones' answer about an extension basically sound like an "I don't want to extend here" repackaged. I mean how many times have you heard a player for a team say a variation of "I love it here and want to be an [insert team] for my entire career."

Has Jones ever said anything resembling those words? I like the idea of signing Jones to an extension personally, but I wonder if it's been made clear behind the scenes that he isn't extending.

I mean who the heck would want to extend here and be guaranteed no chance at the postseason year after year. We are forced to celebrate less than mediocrity here since we are fans and have our own illogical, emotional ties to this wretched team.

I think you may be correct. When Markakis and Roberts extended, the outlook for the team was quite a bit better than it is now. At a minimum, Jones may be taking a wait and see attitude. So long as he stays healthy, he doesn't gain much by extending now.

The Orioles need to trade him for the highest return possible and if that is 3-4 top prospects than so be it. That being said, for me the obect of any trade I would make would be to better my team.

So...

Jurrjens and Prado are both upgrades to this club as we need a second baseman and a pitcher that can at least be #3 good. Jurrjens is a #3 starter with the stuff be better IMO. I guys like Spruill, Salcedo, Gilmartin, La Stella, Graham are put into the deal than the team adds to the farm system as well.

The problem with your line of thinking (IMO) is that you are trying to win now and there is no scenario with our payroll at $85M where the current roster can be morphed into a playoff contender. I am not sure that Prince, Jackson, Cespedes and Oswalt could make us a playoff contender in 2012, but we would be a lot closer. A lot closer to the playoffs and a lot closer to a $115M+ payroll.

I agree .... The Orioles need to prove they are committed to spending. I wont believe until I see it.

I think part of Trea's theory ia that they cant try for Fielder if they trade Jones... But I dont believe they will anyway.

Has Jones ever said anything resembling those words? I like the idea of signing Jones to an extension personally, but I wonder if it's been made clear behind the scenes that he isn't extending.

Seem to me Jones was saying "Show me the money!!!".

Jones would extend if the team was committed to winning around him.

We see this all the time. Athletes saying that they just want to win and leave a quality organization for a lesser product that offers the highest bid. It would be like Fielder leaving the Brewers to sign with Baltimore while saying that he left the Brewers for a chance to compete. It is clear to me that Jones wants his big money deal and if the Orioles made the right offer that he would extend with us. How do I know? Because when asked about extending with the Orioles he said that he doesn't entertain hypothetical scenarios. If you wanted to stay in Baltimore than your answer would have been "Yes. I love Baltimore and the fans. Right now things are out of my hands however". I like Jones and prefer to keep him, but if the team can get a package that could fill 2-3 holes by making 1 hole than I am fine by that.

Theres just not that much to report on this..... the O's will trade him if they feel that an extension can not be worked out. I personally think AJ will demand too much $$$ knowing that the O's wont pay it.

I think it would be foolish to not trade Jones....He is completely over valued based on potiental and OPACY....He is product of the best home run environment in baseball.

All of his value lies in his ability to hit HRs and what he 'might become'...Id rather take my chances on a younger guy in CF who can help instead of hinder our young pitching and who isn't a year away from being a very expensive, bad obp, slugging LFer.

Take away OPACY and he is a below league average CFer at this point and more of a 4th outfielder than anything....A right handed Corey Patterson without the D and steals.

And thats a fact....DD trade him now please get the value while you can before he regresses and then we lose all that value from his 'potiental' or gets injured.

Trade Jones for more minor league depth and sign Cespedes.

Cespedes is not going to happen. I think the Marlins are going to make a very strong push for him and the Cuban connection in Miami will be way too persuasive to be ignored.

I think it would be foolish to not trade Jones....He is completely over valued based on potiental and OPACY....He is product of the best home run environment in baseball.

All of his value lies in his ability to hit HRs and what he 'might become'...Id rather take my chances on a younger guy in CF who can help instead of hinder our young pitching and who isn't a year away from being a very expensive, bad obp, slugging LFer.

Take away OPACY and he is a below league average CFer at this point and more of a 4th outfielder than anything....A right handed Corey Patterson without the D and steals.

And thats a fact....DD trade him now please get the value while you can before he regresses and then we lose all that value from his 'potiental' or gets injured.

Don't know what to say here, but I will touch on a couple topics.

1.) The Braves are talking to the Orioles about Jones which means they think that he can help the Braves enough to warrant giving up 3-5 very good players or prospects. I think that we give Jones a hard time and if they move Jones to LF than you might see the need for his range to decrease and his arm could give him even more assists from LF.

2.) Since the Orioles do not seem to have many good OBP guys it is funny that you bring up Jones and OBP. The Orioles were 9th in SLG and 19th in OBP. Jones needs to get on base more and if he does that a little better than you will see his OPS really climb and he will be elite. His ability to draw walks and get on base is the only thing stoping him from being elite and elite is very expensive.

3.) Jones is a 4th OF? You are outside of your mind. Jones would be the #2 OF'er in NY, Boston, Tampa and Toronto and that is before he has hit his full potential. This mindset that Jones is really below average defensively is mind numbing to me. Most teams would love to have a guy like Adam Jones in the outfield.

4.) Jones was worth 2.9 WAR last year and that was with the weak defensive metrics showing his was average to slightly below average. There is going to be a day where Jones' defensive numbers help him and his offensive numbers will be a little better IMO. His 2.9 WAR could easily be worth 4.5 WAR and that is Prince Fielder territory IMO.

Archived