And Buster Olney takes a little shot as well

ChaosLex

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trades combined with some higher-upside FA signings.

The only "outside the box moves" this offseason are Antonelli and the Asian pitchers. And they are huge question marks themselves.

What higher upside FA signings did we miss out on? I'm not sure trades count with regard to Buster's comment.

Hmm...
@Buster_ESPN

Year after year, it's the Orioles who are left to pick at the carcass of the offseason, after every other team is finished feeding. Amazing

How was it a "shot at the O's" when it was our stated strategy?

"Everybody else is chasing it, too," Duquette told MLBTR. "We have to wait for the sharks to feed and then we'll wait to see what's left over."

"Everybody else is chasing it, too," Duquette told MLBTR. "We have to wait for the sharks to feed and then we'll wait to see what's left over."

I couldn't remember the quote but I thought something along the lines of Busters comment was made by DD early in the offseason... It is tough to criticize Buster for this comment as well, its true.

Ah yes. Here is the Orioles of the aquarium world.

pleco-algae-eater.jpg

I can't really disagree with Olney. There's nothing overtly exciting about the moves we have made in the domestic market this winter.

There's a part of me, though, that is looking at this winter as a test of Duquette's ability to find undervalued players and get good value from them. I'm looking forward to seeing what value, if any, is provided by Antonelli, Chavez, Betemit, Miller, Flaherty (if he makes the roster), Teagarden and Eveland. If they're all bums, well, Duquette got what he paid for. If several of them pan out, that's the sign of a GM with a good eye for value. I think we'll find out a little something about DD and his team from this.

Trades combined with some higher-upside FA signings.

The only "outside the box moves" this offseason are Antonelli and the Asian pitchers. And they are huge question marks themselves.

So, Sean, you want "outside the box" acquisitions that are simultaneously devoid of uncertainty?

Good luck identifying those.

I think guys like Buster have a auto reminder event on there calendar to make sure they talk about every team at least once a month. Today, his Orioles reminder was staring him the face so he just rehashed the same old op-ed tagline on Twitter instead of delving into a more interesting piece of journalism.

That is the quote that defined this off season, whether any of us like the direction or not. That is who we are for now.

Unfortunately, he is correct. We can't compete with the bigger market teams for free agents.

In other news, neither can the Pirates, Royals, Rays, Padres, Athletics, etc.

That's not true. The O's could compete with all that MASN money. Angelos just doesn't care enough about winning or the fans enough to do it.

Archived